.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ka-Ching

It's happpened. I've finally succumbed to the lure of the moolah, the dough, the cold hard cash of advertising.

First thing Monday, I took Sundries into the realm of Blogads.

For those who don't know, Blogads is the premier advertising site for bloggers, acting as a network of the 500 most influential bloggers in our medium.

At present, it's by invitation only so I was very honoured to be sponsored by a renowned blogger, and hope always to be worthy of that trust and encouragement by posting up a storm of informative, but quirky topics, as is my wont.

(We will now pause for a brief chorus of "The Girl Guide's Hymn")

You know, I had to think about it longer than I thought, though.

Not because of the money itself, as I am a not a guilty white woman with hang-ups about the free-market system, and the selling of my "soul" by going corporate. Oh please.

But rather because I wanted to prove to my parents that writing pays, even if it's babysteps at first.

Short of writing a novel or memoirs, or biography, which takes years to do, and still one is not guaranteed of being published, bankrolling your blogging activities is a happy compromise.

And when I told my parents of this new state of affairs, I confess the look of pride was a boost to my ego.

I just didn't know how they would react, since both of them want me to carry on with my budding medical career, from which I have taken a leave of absence for a year. So their positive reaction was everything I had hoped for, and more.

I am still feeling my way on Blogads, trying to create a snappy ad and then buy space at the best sites, targetting the savviest "bang for your buck" prices. And I'm eagerly awaiting a sponsor, making it possible by keeping my prices modest until I can legitimately ask for more.

(Few people can afford to charge U$18,000/3 mos. for a Premium ad like Instapundit can, though...I almost fainted when I saw that)

You know, despite the exponential growth of Blogosphere this past year, I think we're still at the cusp of a major internet revolution. Lots of people, LOTS, still haven't a clue about blogging.

My parents themselves would fall into that category, if not for my little "hobby". They still don't access their email accounts (which I created for them), regularly. And they're hardly rubes or Luddites either.

It's just that blogs haven't hit critical mass. Yet.

And I think, like many people reading this post now, that we all want to be a part of something really big, where we can say one day to our grandchildren:

Yes, I was a part of that brave new blogosphere.

And I got paid for doing something I really love: writing.

POST DEDICATION: To the unrivalledly generous Renato, for his encouragement and always cheery warmth. And to my readers, all 3 of you, for your indulgence. If it's true you get what you pay for, there are some things in this world above price. Satisfying people is one of them.

SUNDRIES SITE ADVERTISED AT:

The Third Rail
Iowahawk
Beldar
GatewayPundit
The Liberty News Blog
The Celebrity Baby Blog
Proud To Be Canadian.ca

16 Comments:

  • Congratulations Victoria! I am sure you will do great as more people discover your wonderful writing!

    Un abrazo, Jose

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Tue Oct 18, 09:35:00 am GMT-4  

  • Awww Shucks, what can I say? You're an exquisite writer who cleverly captures life's moments. My favourite blogger!

    By Blogger Renato, at Tue Oct 18, 10:39:00 am GMT-4  

  • Good luck, Ma'am, wishes you this faithful German reader.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Oct 18, 11:22:00 am GMT-4  

  • Congratulations! The first step! You are a wonderful writer that deserves to be heard. Quite easy to become smitten to you, actually...

    I would love to see you put your medical training to use and tackle a topic I couldn't do justice to--the Terri Schiavo autopsy. In particular, the Press conference versus the full autopsy report. I believe the poor pathologists got caught up in a political agenda and strayed far afield from their medical senses/imperative. Example? Making a clinical diagnosis from a corpse. I believe the written report doesn't support the words proffered. Not to mention the disingenuous use of "not inconsistent with," and "consistent with" as in the generic example "a gaping head wound is not inconsistent with foul play." Or natural causes(striking the head after losing consciousness). Or, at least a half dozen other scenarios. Anyway, everything you need if available on the web.

    By Anonymous Darrell, at Tue Oct 18, 12:46:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Congrats!

    You're on my shortlist of blogs to visit daily.

    Good luck!

    By Blogger reader_iam, at Tue Oct 18, 01:02:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Congratulations Victoria! I am sure you will do great as more people discover your wonderful writing!

    Thanks Jose! You make me blush. :)

    I know that a blog's most important ingredient is its readers and commenters, without whom there would be no meaningful interaction.

    And I think I have some of the finest commenters in Blogosphere.

    Thank you, guys. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 18, 04:16:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Awww Shucks, what can I say? You're an exquisite writer who cleverly captures life's moments. My favourite blogger!

    Renato, I thank YOU for all your help!

    Thank you for putting up with all my blogger talk during the day. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 18, 04:17:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Good luck, Ma'am, wishes you this faithful German reader.

    Donnerwetter! Ein deutscher Leser! ;)

    Thank you so much, my dear, anonymous German reader.

    If you are by chance Divis incognito and shy to come back, even trying to slightly confuse by writing "German" and not Austrian, don't feel shy. No matter how long you are away, you will always be my friend. :)

    If you are a truly anonymous German reader of Sundries, I cannot thank you for de-lurking to give me some encouragement today.

    Danke vielmals!
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 18, 04:22:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Congratulations! The first step! You are a wonderful writer that deserves to be heard. Quite easy to become smitten to you, actually...

    Awww. You're so kind, Darrell.

    Let's hope the only smiting I do is of the positive variety. ;)

    Thank you!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 18, 04:24:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Congrats!

    You're on my shortlist of blogs to visit daily.

    Good luck!


    It's hard not to feel proud when someone says this.

    Quick! Someone insult the Queen so I feel less centred and chuffed. ;)

    Thank you, reader_iam!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 18, 04:25:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Victoria: Make that all four readers.

    Just followed you home, from Althouse (of course), for more laughs and to click through your shiny new blogads, you filthy little imperious money-grubber, you.

    How's that for an insult? All better?

    PS... Scanning the comments here, I'm sorry I'm not fluent in any foreign languages. But I am trying to learn English. It's hard!

    By Blogger Meade, at Tue Oct 18, 10:04:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Wait a second. Where are your blogads? The only one I see keeps bringing me back to whence I came.

    By Blogger Meade, at Tue Oct 18, 10:15:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Hey Lmeade. :)

    The ads had not been approved YET. So far the only "ad" I had at the time of writing, was this free one which Blogads gives you for a month...on your own blog. Weird.

    And no, I checked -- I couldn't put my ad in one of those Premium spots. Drat.

    Are you kidding me, if not!

    I would shoot for the moon if I could.

    Hello Instapundit. Or at the very least Malkin. ;)

    The links where my ads are to be found, to follow in the post above, updated.

    P.S.: Ann's prices are a bit pricey too, but the Anchoress is do-able for a week. We'll see.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 18, 11:22:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I'll let you look at how my mind works, by giving you some clues about the ads.

    First, these again are the sites where I've bought at least a week's worth of advertising.

    The Third Rail
    Iowahawk
    Beldar
    GatewayPundit
    The Liberty News Forum
    The Celebrity Babies Forum

    Second, there is a reason I chose each of these sites.

    These were my considerations:

    1- Top price
    2- Page views/traffic
    3- Target Demographic
    4- Presentation
    5- Philosophical Outlook

    Given that, can you guess why I chose each of the sites that I did?

    Each has a specific reason. And there are others I was considering like:

    Rantburg. Ace of Spades HQ. And even the Gay Patriot. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 18, 11:43:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Victoria,
    Firstly, I meant "smitten with"...You'll have to excuse me, English is my first language!

    Secondly, clever girl! You didn't think I would notice that you ignored my suggested topic.

    Lastly, shouldn't you be accepting ads at your site for others with deeper pockets? I know the Brits have moved away from Capitalism a bit, so let me suggest that money coming in is a surer road to financial independence. :-)

    By Anonymous Darrell, at Wed Oct 19, 12:09:00 am GMT-4  

  • Victoria,
    Firstly, I meant "smitten with"...You'll have to excuse me, English is my first language!


    Sounds good to me!

    Secondly, clever girl! You didn't think I would notice that you ignored my suggested topic.

    Yes. *g*

    Lastly, shouldn't you be accepting ads at your site for others with deeper pockets? I know the Brits have moved away from Capitalism a bit, so let me suggest that money coming in is a surer road to financial independence. :-)

    Well, Darrell. The first law of Trade is:

    It Pays To Advertise

    Otherwise known as, you get what you put in.

    I have to make my blog better known and more widely read before dazzling my parents with my paycheques.

    And hey, so far, 9 people have clicked!

    Thank you so much whomever you are.

    It's not the money -- it's the implict curiosity and vote of confidence it gives you, that counts. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Oct 19, 12:59:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.