.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Coffeehouse Oddities

So I've had a rough coupl'a'days. Who doesn't, right? Right.

No need for me to cry into my soup...much, much better to cry into a cup of mocha java instead!

Which is what I did just a while ago: walking over to my favourite coffeeshop, moments away from my condo.

I lose myself watching people go by, or observing them clandestinely (or so I think), from the corner of my eye.

Remember that next time you're in South Florida.

That girl wearing the black pseudo-intellectual togs could be me, and you could be my blogfodder!

So I sat down to peruse the assortment of people at around 6:30 PM. Not too many people about, as doubtlessly, most people are still braving the rush hour, or just starting to throw some shrimps of the barbie for supper.

Two couples surrounded me diagonally from each other.

The first couple were African-Americans, which is actually rather an uncommon sight at a non-Ocean Drive Starbucks-a-like, believe it or not.

The girl, around 19, was also quite young, and though a handsome lass, was no model type. She was portly, but had very kind eyes. I liked her.

Unfortunately, she also had this bizarre tic, which I'm sure you've probably encountered before too.

She's the type of person who, when laughing, looks for all the world as she's about to start to cry...violently.

Open mouth. Throw back head. Shoulders heave. Pained expression on face.

I was caught so off-guard by this gesture of hers, that I almost was about to rise, and ask if she was okay -- since her chin was so close down to her chest, she looked like she was in mortal pain.

Gosh, that would've been embarrassing. For me.

She did that a number a times, so after a while, I was so non-plussed, I turned around to observe the other couple, this time, older, affluent-looking, and white.

Nothing untoward happened for the first few minutes. In fact, no conversation of any kind transpired, as often happens with an old married couple.

Silence isn't always a harbinger. It's a blessing.

I was about to open the book I had brought with me, since I'm one of those people who can never be bored if there's a book around, when I saw another very unusual and yet, not unheard of gesture.

When the man piped up, and asked his wife for something, I noticed he turned his head away from her when speaking.

That's odd, I thought. I have a cousin who does that. But this cousin has also another tic, which to my surprise a moment later, this man had too!

When he DID look at you when speaking, he would close his eyes to do so.

Do you know how annoying that would be, to marry a person that never looked at you when addressing you? Their love-making must absolutely reek.

I'm wondering now, trying to mentally scan all the Psych books I've read, what causes this odd gesture.

Shyness only goes so far, before you wonder if it's a combination of unconscious arrogance, or even lack of honesty.

Or maybe it's just a question of having one too many venti caffe lattes.

Here's a task for you, next time you're at a coffeehouse: spot a tic, a quirk and an oddity most people wouldn't pick up on, around you.

It'll keep your mind busy for at least as long as your beverage lasts you. Trust me.

Mega Bonus points if you spot me in the crowd too. Of course, I'll have spotted you long before that. And probably already blogged it.



FEATURED SITE

Coffehouse To Go (a podcasting venue featuring indie music artists, and literature reviews. Don't worry: it's no where near as depressing as it sounds)

5 Comments:

  • It's possible the neurotic chick was affected by the recent hurricanes in the areas. Many people, inluding myself, have the same reactions in public.

    True she could be simply neurotic.

    Though it's entirely possibe life extends beyond your own perception of it.

    Peace, K

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Nov 03, 10:54:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I think the tic of constantly looking away when talking to someone is most often due to not wanting to be with who you are with. Often associated with a marriage, I'm afraid. You can see the same person looking directly at someone else and enjoying them.

    Mega Bonus points if you spot me in the crowd too. Of course, I'll have spotted you long before that. And probably already blogged it.

    I doubt that, I'm sure I'd pick you out long before you notice me. I'd already have my book published about it.

    By Blogger Paul, at Fri Nov 04, 09:19:00 am GMT-5  

  • I think the tic of constantly looking away when talking to someone is most often due to not wanting to be with who you are with. Often associated with a marriage, I'm afraid.

    But the cousin I mentioned, and others that I have met throughout the years, weren't as YET married!

    Yes, I know, it could've been a very reflex "tired of being with her" reaction, but I think this guy has this tic with everyone.

    You can see the same person looking directly at someone else and enjoying them.

    *LOL* Spoken like a true man!

    I doubt that, I'm sure I'd pick you out long before you notice me. I'd already have my book published about it.

    Ooh, very nice. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 04, 11:16:00 am GMT-5  

  • But you've already given it away. You'll be the beautiful blonde in the blue dress and beret with legs crossed reading a newspaper! You probably took it with your new camera phone.:)

    I think you caught her reaction at the moment he told her just how much that coffee really cost her.

    By Blogger Renato, at Fri Nov 04, 02:17:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I read this post this morning and didn't make any comment. But then today I had lunch at a coffeehouse, Demetrios, and found myself constantly looking at the people at the other tables! Pretty sure I did not see Victoria!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Fri Nov 04, 02:54:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.