.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, March 10, 2006

Oh No You Didn't, Mr. Bolton

I have a pet peeve:

I don't like people who point. With their forefingers. At one.

I especially don't like it when politicians or public figures do it, such as President Clinton irately denying he had "sexual relations with that woman". Liar, liar pants half-way-down-your-ankles.

In fact, the last time a President of the United States was able to point during a speech, and not look like a sentatious schoolmarm, was President Kennedy.

But then I wasn't alive when he went around shoving his forefinger in Nikita Krushchev's mush, so I wouldn't know how I might've felt about it.

So it was with this frame of reference that I saw John Bolton give his finger-jabbing speech at Iran, this week.

He punctuated his icy condemnation by pointing his little finger at the camera, promising "tangible and painful consequences" if this rogue state continued with their uranium-enriching programme.

(Finally, we can see the chess pieces fall into place, as the purpose of the invasion of Iraq reveals itself for the strategic buffer zone it is)

I like the hardline tone.

But I could do without the librarian prissiness, thankyouverymuch.



Don't worry, Mr. Bolton (whose Dudley Do-Right moustache grates on my nerves) is hardly the only public figure who does this, as mentioned, although if you do look up his name on Google Images, you'll be met with a striking amount of pointing finger photos of him.

And this bulldog of a man, who is reviled by many at the UN for his attitude, is not even the only United Nations official who likes fingerpointing either.



Although let me say, Kofi Annan at least uses Grecian Formula.

4 Comments:

  • Me TOO, on all counts!
    All through Bolton's confirmation hearing, all I saw was this moustache staring at me and even all the while wanting him to be confirmed, I wished he would shave or at least trim.

    Finger pointing is offensive no matter what the intent. It's also the best way to escalate an argument without having to think and it's effect lasts much longer than any accompanying anger.
    It's meant to focus attention; it pisses one off, or is meant to show the displayer is.
    In a politician's case, if it's meant to represent carrying a big stick, I'd rather see Bolton brandish a baseball bat at Kofi or Ahmadi-Nejad.

    By Blogger Paul, at Fri Mar 10, 10:08:00 am GMT-5  

  • Sooooo, bring back the "Fickle Finger of Fate" award. Give it to the annoying finger-waver of your choice!

    "Sock it to me! Sock it to me! Sock it to me! Sock it to me!"

    Bolton's not a matinee idol. Granted. But he's got the cojones so many US reps to the UN have lacked. Not since Jeanne Kirkpatrick has the sound of clinking brass heralded the arrival of American cojones!

    All Hail Bolton! Heheheee!

    By Blogger benning, at Fri Mar 10, 03:34:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Me TOO, on all counts!

    Excellent. :)

    All through Bolton's confirmation hearing, all I saw was this moustache staring at me and even all the while wanting him to be confirmed, I wished he would shave or at least trim.

    He is the least best-groomed of any diplomat I have EVER seen.

    L. Paul Bremer III, the ex-commandant of Iraq, being the archtypical American diplomat -- courtly, elegant, handsome of face and body.

    Condi Rice is of course, without equal on the woman's side.

    Finger pointing is offensive no matter what the intent. It's also the best way to escalate an argument without having to think and it's effect lasts much longer than any accompanying anger.

    Exactly! That is beautifully put.

    It's meant to focus attention; it pisses one off, or is meant to show the displayer is.

    Absolutely, plus it has whiffs of being a teacher-student dynamic -- most unfortunate, since we all remember how certain teachers would not so much as teach, as belittle some kids.

    In a politician's case, if it's meant to represent carrying a big stick, I'd rather see Bolton brandish a baseball bat at Kofi or Ahmadi-Nejad.

    LOL!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Mar 12, 03:04:00 am GMT-5  

  • Sooooo, bring back the "Fickle Finger of Fate" award. Give it to the annoying finger-waver of your choice!

    "Sock it to me! Sock it to me! Sock it to me! Sock it to me!"


    Why does this whole thing up top ring a vague bell?

    Is it a Laugh-In sketch? :)

    Bolton's not a matinee idol.

    A great term.

    Granted. But he's got the cojones so many US reps to the UN have lacked. Not since Jeanne Kirkpatrick has the sound of clinking brass heralded the arrival of American cojones!

    This is VERY true. That woman was frightening, and I always picture her and Margaret Thatcher, as the two Iron Women of the 80s.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Mar 12, 03:06:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.