.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Poor Tammy Faye

It's so easy to make fun of Tammy Faye Bakker. I myself have done it loads of times.



With her ski slope curling, Daisy Duck eyelashes; with her Flo the Waitress beehive hairdo; with her King Tut raccoon makeup applied with a trowel; with her ostentatious jewelry, clothes, and furniture which just screams New Money Hick.

Gosh, she might as well have an insult bullseye on her noggin, she's that easy to pick on.

But I'll tell you, when I was channelsurfing earlier tonight, I caught sight of her on Larry King on CNN, with this tagline under her tear-stained cheeked face:

"Tammy Faye Fights For Her Life: Has Stage 4 Cancer"

Cruel though it was, I remember thinking in that clinically detached, medical way we have been taught to use: that's it, we're seeing a dead woman walking.

And that is a very creepy feeling to have -- to know this might be one of the last times we see this poor woman alive before us.

Tammy Faye Bakker means very little to me. I wasn't even aware of her husband's travails back in the 1980s.

But for some reason, this situation gives me pause.

How television makes an event come alive to you, and yet, how it takes away from the utter tragedy of life, by reducing it to merely news.

4 Comments:

  • Daisy Duck eyelashes; with her Flo the Waitress beehive hairdo; with her King Tut raccoon makeup

    The apogee of Sundries descriptions!

    This news is sad, of course, for anyone, and so my heart goes out to her in any case...

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Mar 14, 02:05:00 am GMT-5  

  • The apogee of Sundries descriptions!

    I liked the King Tut raccoon bit too. :)

    Thanks Ron!

    This news is sad, of course, for anyone, and so my heart goes out to her in any case...

    I was thinking about this after I posted.

    What makes Dolly Parton an icon, and Tammy Faye Bakker-Messner, the mere butt of jokes?

    Both are country lasses whose appearance, to the say the least, is highly original to each.

    One transcends herself, and the other, is just a caricature of what she wants to be (dazzlingly rich-looking, and feminine pretty wholesome).

    But I'll tell you, despite this attempt at kicking a lady whilst she's down, I have only respect for poor Tammy Faye, today.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 14, 03:40:00 am GMT-5  

  • I think Dolly embraced the caricature, while Tammy Faye, well, did not!

    We have a great sensitivity to this, and are very forgiving for those who can laugh at themselves, and not so forgiving for those who cannot.

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Mar 14, 10:14:00 am GMT-5  

  • I think Dolly embraced the caricature, while Tammy Faye, well, did not!

    Definitely.

    We have a great sensitivity to this, and are very forgiving for those who can laugh at themselves, and not so forgiving for those who cannot.

    Sacré!

    So simple, and yet much "truthiness" in this statement.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 14, 05:26:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.