.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Prezzie

Whew, a full day of shopping, after going on a small side jaunt which kept me away for the larger part of yesterday.

(I refuse to say I'm "exhausted" because I know full well how ridiculous that sounds, after appending "shopping" to my activity. Yes, I was tired yesterday after arriving home, too tired to blog in fact, but I didn't pick cotton in the fields or feed a brood of 6, so I reckon I'll survive)

As you know, that chum of mine who is throwing an 1980's theme party, has a birthday coming up in April.

So, I decided to traipse to antique shops for that perfect present, faced with a modest budget, but expensive tastes -- a deadly combination for shopping.

To boot, he's a well-to-do man, a bank executive, who lives in a condo in Coral Gables.

He likes good living, but clean Art Nouveau lines, sometimes punctuated by more ornate items in certain nooks and crannies of his flat.

Off I went with all these factors in mind.

First antique shop I hit, was a disaster.

Sometimes one just knows when someone dislikes you, and that was the immediate sensation I got from this older woman with blue eyeshadow.

I'm not sure if you do this, but when I meet a person I try to imagine what that person is named.

This one I assigned the name of Myrtle.

After trying to bargain with her on one wonderful item, a cheese bell, I was rebuffed, so I left in a semi-huff (you know how, you say "thank you, good day" quietly, and turn on your heel to go out).

Not having too many options after that, since the items I saw were far beyond my budget, I went to Macy's and scouted their home section.

I ended up buying a toast rack from coincidentally a British lady who came here as a child, and had one of the most high-pitched Brooklynese voices you can imagine -- think Fran Drescher.

The only problem is that she was raised, since the age of 10, in Ft. Lauderdale.

That's like me appropriating a Southie accent from Boston, or a cornpone Alabama accent...which I rather like actually.

(The lady did pay me a compliment of saying I had a soothing voice, unlike hers, which of course, made my day)

Toast rack, schmoast rack, I still didn't have my chum's present bought. So I hit the pavement again.

Would you believe it, I ended up finding the perfect item in one of those speciality stores which cater to the "I want that perfect gift I'll never use, but I want anyway, like an ivory backscratcher".

And do you know what that was? Well how could you. But try to imagine before looking below.

Remember:

Single man. No wife to keep him on track. Expensive tastes. Nice tschokes in home already.

(Plus add a friend who wants to treat him to something nice, but has no gainful employment other than blogging at present)

That's right, I bought him an antique reproduction one-of-kind mass made bracket portico clock, circa 2004!!

Not the real one I bought, but close

Don't worry, I didn't know it was a "portico clock", either, until my antiques-mad mother saw it and told me.

Rather nifty for a confirmed bachelor, don't you think?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to make my toast.

I'll be back for more blogatory loving a bit later.

P.S.: He doesn't read my blog. He doesn't even know it exists. But should you know him, shhh! for God's sake. Here, have some toast.

UPDATE: Yikes. I remembered that he does indeed know about the blog, because he's read one or two posts I asked him to look over, once. But I know for sure he doesn't read it on his own -- since he sheepishly told me he doesn't read stuff online. What a nerd.

7 Comments:

  • Looks like a beautiful gift! I knew you were that special kind of person that actually takes the time to think about what would please another person. I have never liked this modern trend of giving gift certificates or cash.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Sat Mar 11, 12:26:00 pm GMT-5  

  • That's a nice looking clock. Wouldn't go with a thing in my humble abode, but it is nice!

    No thanks on that toast, but hash browns would be good! LOL

    By Blogger benning, at Sat Mar 11, 03:17:00 pm GMT-5  

  • That, is a most wonderful, thoughtful gift and alone, should be most pleasing.
    If you haven't used it yet and I have this feeling you haven't, throw in that exquisite bottle of Heinz Ketchup you bought and see if he doesn't throw himself at your feet. I would :)

    By Blogger Paul, at Sat Mar 11, 09:48:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Looks like a beautiful gift!

    Thanks, Jose!

    I knew you were that special kind of person that actually takes the time to think about what would please another person.

    I spend hours considering just what kind of gift the recipient would like.

    I'm not saying men don't, because that's just untrue, but let me say that I recall shopping with my ex-boyfriends for birthday presents they were giving another male acquaintance or boss, etc.

    5 minutes tops. No price comparison. Just go in. Pick out something not too awful. And pay.

    Thank God I wasn't born like that...

    I have never liked this modern trend of giving gift certificates or cash.

    I also don't!

    But having said that, I have to say they are convenient and no less kind in sentiment.

    I am the kind of person my friends like to give presents to, but many of them are terrified (more than one has revealed to me) to get a present "wrong" for me.

    I have a lot of stuff already, and I am particular about my taste, as you have seen.

    One person gave me candle snuffers, thinking I didn't have any, and I didn't have the heart to tell her I had -- many...

    So now most of my friends give me anywhere from 20 to 100 dollar gift certificates, and I'm just as happy. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Mar 12, 02:53:00 am GMT-5  

  • That's a nice looking clock.

    Thanks Benning. Of course, it's a facsimile, not the real one.

    But it's a good idea of what it looks like, despite the photo showing a rather large example. "Mine" is smaller.

    Wouldn't go with a thing in my humble abode, but it is nice!

    You'd be surprised at what would go in your "humble" abode! ;)

    No thanks on that toast, but hash browns would be good! LOL

    HEY! I just blogged about that in the post above.

    I LOOOVE hash brown too, so we can make some and all. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Mar 12, 02:55:00 am GMT-5  

  • That, is a most wonderful, thoughtful gift and alone, should be most pleasing.
    If you haven't used it yet and I have this feeling you haven't, throw in that exquisite bottle of Heinz Ketchup you bought


    I have, I tells ya! It's almost half empty, since my hot dog loving mum uses it constantly. :)

    and see if he doesn't throw himself at your feet. I would :)

    Noooo, nooo, he's my FRIEND, capital F. Not the least bit hint of romance there.

    Not even a BFWP situation (which are so lame, anyway).

    And he's a confirmed bachelor, as I said...capiche? ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Mar 12, 02:58:00 am GMT-5  

  • Not even a BFWP situation

    Thou art a mystery

    By Blogger Paul, at Sun Mar 12, 02:10:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.