.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bait Cars

I was watching CNBC's Donny Deutsch programme, when I saw a new police programme which nabs carjackers, by "baiting" them with a specially designed car. Have you seen it?

The car shuts off the petrol, the moment they try to drive it away.

One guy, knowing he was caught, decided to take a toke off his crack pipe, as the coppers approached!

Here is a question for the lawyers, though:

Why isn't this admittedly wonderful programme, classified as entrapment?

Deutsch played devil's advocate by saying that maybe police resources would be better spent in solving murders (Fox News response: You mean as in Natalee Holloway's murder?).

I personally think the programme is brilliant, and wonder if its in use in the GTA capital, Miami Beach?



By placing bait cars where they can be stolen, you put the seed of doubt into a thief's mind -- they are the hunted, instead of being the hunters of illicit rides.

I did see that two of the criminals noticed that most bait cars are always clean, just like some people can pick out an undercover cop, because their shoes tend to be buffed or their nails, unsoiled.

So perhaps, as the criminals get "smarter", the police might have to change some of their tactics.

Like running over the hooker in the streetcorner, to get more lives.

2 Comments:

  • I don't see a problem with this as long as they freely choose to break into the car. Then again, IANAL :)

    Now maybe if the car door was open, the engine on and the license plate said "steal me" things would be different.:)

    P.S. I can't comment on your immigrant story, blogger says the page can't be found. Bah!

    By Blogger Renato, at Tue May 02, 10:27:00 am GMT-4  

  • Same here on the immigrant story - Blogger shut you down :)

    There has to be some enticement for entrapment. Leaving my house door open doesn't mean you can come in, me standing there naked is enticement, Hahahahaha!

    Telling someone I'll give you $50.00 if you give me a...

    As opposed to, how much do you charge to give me a...

    Me sitting in a spot to catch a speeder is not.
    Me telling you the speed liimit is 70 when it's 55 so my partner ahead with the radar can get you, is.

    By Blogger Paul, at Tue May 02, 12:08:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.