.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Eternal Spotlight of the Sundries of the Mind

Ooh!


I am a Peace Corps volunteer in West Africa. I can say that now, because I have a little piece of paper that backs me up. But the Blog isn't about work, or Africa, or education. It's just me, looking around, playing with words and pictures.

Having found this Peace Corps blogger quite by chance, I am entranced now looking at her gorgeous photos on Flickr.

And sometimes looking at this hennaed foot, about to be given a much-needed and yet at the same time, sorrowful bath, it's precisely then when it hits you...





...what the hell are you doing with your life, Vic?

What are you doing frittering your life away, writing in blogs at ungodly hours of the day?

When you could use that god-given talent you have to teach, and for it to be received with grateful thanks?





Once upon a time, I went to South America and did something similar for a summer. We built a water tank system to give serrano Peruvians potable water.

Unlike Britain, where water supply is completely privatised, many South American countries have municipal (public) utilities that are completely broken down, and to say they are inefficient would be to compliment them.

They were doing good work, and it's times like that I don't at all mind the hippy-activists which I encountered there as a matter-of-course. There are 1 billion people around the world without safe drinking water, and Peru is ravaged by cholera, because of it.

We can tolerate tie-dye t-shirts for such a worthy cause.

But before you annoint me the new Mother Teresa, let me clarify -- it was merely to pad my resumé for Med School.

It worked, too.

But for people who go to into the real Peace Corps, who do this for all the right reasons, well, I cannot imagine a more rewarding experience.




Can you?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I was a Peace Corps volunteer and I'm not sure I did it for the right reasons and it wasn't always rewarding! I wanted adventure and to escape corporate America. What I got was two years of being cold (I was in Chile) and a lot of whining from my co-workers, who were a group of indigenous women who sold the textiles their co-op had woven. "Life was perfect before you white people showed up" was pretty much the message I got from them.

    But professionally, it was a great experience -- the most fun job I've ever had. I'm very glad I did it.

    By Anonymous class factotum, at Tue Feb 27, 08:35:00 am GMT-5  

  • Oh! I didn't see this, C-F. :)

    I was a Peace Corps volunteer and I'm not sure I did it for the right reasons and it wasn't always rewarding!

    You are my new heroine, Class. Alongside Ruth Anne, ex-JAG officer, of course. :)

    I wanted adventure and to escape corporate America.

    Corporate America CAN be a bit much, when you are flung out into the world, aged 20ish.

    What I got was two years of being cold (I was in Chile) and a lot of whining from my co-workers, who were a group of indigenous women who sold the textiles their co-op had woven. "Life was perfect before you white people showed up" was pretty much the message I got from them.

    Oh dear...were these the fierce Mapuche indians?

    I've been to Chile (quite recently in fact) and I know even the locals don't like them.

    But professionally, it was a great experience -- the most fun job I've ever had. I'm very glad I did it.

    I dated a guy who graduated from Middlebury. Then he went to South America to teach indigenous peoples to beekeep (he was an English major, so he didn't have any "skill" -- this is what they gave him ;).

    He hated it.

    Not hated, as in vile hatred, but as in "when I was there, I didn't enjoy myself -- but looking back, I remember it well".

    That's rather like you, right? :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Feb 28, 02:27:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.