Brit, What Happened?
No, I haven't watched the Oscars yet.
This is becoming somewhat of a running joke with my friends and I, since the first thing I say to them is, "I don't know want to know! No spoilers, PLEASE!".
Unfortunately, my self-imposed news exile (in case anything is leaked to me during the watching of the news, which by the way, accounts for my Althouse mini-exile, as well) means that I was completely at a loss to find out poor old Britney Spears had not only shaved her head...
...but has tried to commit suicide twice in 10 days, whilst in rehab!

You know, there are some people that one kind of knows deep inside one, will not have a happy ending.
Marilyn Monroe. James Dean. Dana Plato. And now, Anna Nicole Smith.
They flirted too close to the flame, and far too often, got singed.
I never really put Britney Spears into that category, when I thought of her at all (which wasn't as often as many people, apparently).
To me, she was just a misguided, unrepetantly white trash girl with a kind of talent evocative of our generation -- parts bubblegum, parts prefab mega-stardom.
(And an unworthy successor to Madonna, I'm afraid)
But when you try to off yourself with a bedsheet, calling yourself the Anti-Christ after putting a "666" on your forehead, when you're at the apogee of your career and you have relative amounts of talent, wealth and fame -- something certainly isn't right.
Bipolar, they are speculating.
It's really a trainwreck in excrutiating slow motion, and it's one of the saddest downsides of this 24/7 celebrity culture we have now, in the West.
I may not particularly care for her, but I wish her well and hope she recovers.
This is becoming somewhat of a running joke with my friends and I, since the first thing I say to them is, "I don't know want to know! No spoilers, PLEASE!".
Unfortunately, my self-imposed news exile (in case anything is leaked to me during the watching of the news, which by the way, accounts for my Althouse mini-exile, as well) means that I was completely at a loss to find out poor old Britney Spears had not only shaved her head...
...but has tried to commit suicide twice in 10 days, whilst in rehab!

You know, there are some people that one kind of knows deep inside one, will not have a happy ending.
Marilyn Monroe. James Dean. Dana Plato. And now, Anna Nicole Smith.
They flirted too close to the flame, and far too often, got singed.
I never really put Britney Spears into that category, when I thought of her at all (which wasn't as often as many people, apparently).
To me, she was just a misguided, unrepetantly white trash girl with a kind of talent evocative of our generation -- parts bubblegum, parts prefab mega-stardom.
(And an unworthy successor to Madonna, I'm afraid)
But when you try to off yourself with a bedsheet, calling yourself the Anti-Christ after putting a "666" on your forehead, when you're at the apogee of your career and you have relative amounts of talent, wealth and fame -- something certainly isn't right.
Bipolar, they are speculating.
It's really a trainwreck in excrutiating slow motion, and it's one of the saddest downsides of this 24/7 celebrity culture we have now, in the West.
I may not particularly care for her, but I wish her well and hope she recovers.
Labels: Batsheet Craziness, Celebrity Culture








11 Comments:
Holding off yet again, with my surprise posts, guys. ;(
And not only am I not on Althouse, and not watching the news (I completely missed the sad news that Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. had passed on, until a certain someone told me about it...), but this also means I didn't catch the whole Ann Coulter refers to Senator Edwards as a 'faggot'.
I mean, I am completely dismissive of Ann Coulter, and think she's a buffoon whether or not I am on her ideological side or not (I would hope left-leaning people thought the same of Michael Moore), but even for her nutty standards, this is a bit much.
What happened, Ann?
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Mon Mar 05, 02:00:00 am GMT-5
Having said that, let me say that like many women, I have a very finely calibrated "gaydar".
And my gaydar goes off the stratosphere when I look at Senator Edwards. Have you seen how dishy his body man", as they call the personal assistant of US politicians, usually is?
Not just good-looking, in the All-American sense like President Bush's body man (who once dated his daughter, Jenna, as an aside)...
But I mean, pretty boys.
Nevertheless, using that slur towards him publicly just hurts her cause, not to mention being wrong.
But as I say, I haven't been paying attention to the news, so I don't know the details.
Would anyone care to enlighten me what prompted this reaction?
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Mon Mar 05, 02:05:00 am GMT-5
She was at CPAC, where she likes to make a yearly controversial splash.
So in running down the candidates, she said that she couldn't describe John Edwards, because saying "faggot" would mean she had to go into rehab.
The Isaiah Washington angle was, of course, lost in the press.
"Not just good-looking, in the All-American sense like President Bush's body man (who once dated his daughter, Jenna, as an aside)..."
What!? Wasn't that a movie? With Mandy Moore, IIRC.
By
JSU, at Mon Mar 05, 02:43:00 am GMT-5
Sound and fury, signifying nothing, would be the best summary of the kerfuffle.
But, otherwise, Michelle Malkin, or Eric Scheie's takes on it are a good place to start (with links).
Edwards is clearly a vapid, preening, pretty-boy, whose main qualification for being President would seem to be his hair, the Breck Girl (Edwards=#1 Google hit, for 'breck girl') nickname is a much better and less vile way to describe him than what Coulter said.
Also, I think James Dean might not belong on that list, his accident was most likely not his fault, so he wasn't the self-destructive out of control type he's tradtionally portayed as.
By
XWL, at Mon Mar 05, 03:06:00 am GMT-5
I kind of object to Edwards 'Two Americas' spiel, while he's in the middle of building a titanic house... worse than Gore's electricity usage!
He just gives off too much 'Slick Lawyer' vibe for me as well.
By
Ron, at Mon Mar 05, 03:36:00 am GMT-5
She's crazy. She wouldn't have to see her family, her ex-husband and her kids in rehab
www.britjeanspears.org
By
Anonymous, at Mon Mar 05, 04:50:00 am GMT-5
She was at CPAC, where she likes to make a yearly controversial splash.
Yes...
So in running down the candidates, she said that she couldn't describe John Edwards, because saying "faggot" would mean she had to go into rehab.
Oh, I see. Again, something she knew would make headlines which is her main concern, like Michael Moore.
Unlike Michael Moore, her views will never be legitimised by the Cannes Film Festival and by the Academy of Arts and Sciences.
The Isaiah Washington angle was, of course, lost in the press.
Oh yes, of course. I was thinking of Britney Spears, actually!
What!? Wasn't that a movie? With Mandy Moore, IIRC.
I didn't catch that, but I wouldn't be surprised.
It really did happen though.
Jenna and Blake Gottesman, who recently stepped down and let his roommate take over as Bush's body man, used to be an item back in the day.
Incidentally, the press were all over the fact that Gottesman was accepted to Harvard's Business School without being the recipient of an undergrad degree -- strongly inferring that connexions got him the nod.
As the Harvard Crimson put it, he went from handling Bush's PBJ sandwiches to entering the world's most prestigious business school.
You know what they meant -- he's the new Elle Woods.
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Tue Mar 06, 03:03:00 am GMT-5
I kind of object to Edwards 'Two Americas' spiel, while he's in the middle of building a titanic house... worse than Gore's electricity usage!
Good point there, Ron.
He just gives off too much 'Slick Lawyer' vibe for me as well.
I honestly feel that if he had not been the VP candidate, Kerry might've made it a tighter race in 2004.
But he still would've lost, obviously.
It was one of those "all or nothing" ideological fights, like in 1972.
They result in the way it did, to many people's surprise, save those like us who know what Americans really believe, not what Chris Matthews think they do.
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Tue Mar 06, 03:12:00 am GMT-5
She's crazy. She wouldn't have to see her family, her ex-husband and her kids in rehab
That's a shame.
BTW, normally I don't mind links being myself prone to linkage of my blog elsewhere, but this comment seemed a bit too much like spam.
Fortunately, Renato said it wasn't, and so I'll leave it there for anyone interested in going to your Spears site, for more elucidation than just "she's crazy".
Thanks for the comment, though.
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Tue Mar 06, 03:14:00 am GMT-5
BRECK GIRL! I looked it up and was severely amused, XWL. Thanks. ;)
Dorothy Hamill bouncy hair, that's Edwards strong suit.
The hair factoid is wicked awesome, but there's no need to link Ms. Hamill and Slick Willie II! Edwards represents a double ugh for both lawyers and politicians, while Dorothy's callipygian aspect made a young lad quite happy in the '76 Olympics...
By
Ron, at Tue Mar 06, 06:11:00 am GMT-5
Well do I remember your Dorothy Hamill crush, Ron. :)
I'm sorry I was too young for her to have made an impression on me (although oddly, I love Nadia as you know).
But I do remember that hair.
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Tue Mar 06, 02:47:00 pm GMT-5
Post a Comment
<< Home