.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, March 03, 2007

So Close

As you can imagine, one of the most heartstopping sights in Miami/Miami Beach, is what is known as cruise ship alley -- next to frequently-blogged-about, Macarthur Causeway.





For it is, no matter how jaded or sophisticated you may be, that when you see these waterbound behemoths so CLOSE to your car, as you drive past, that you could almost touch them, that you never fail to slow down your automobile a touch, to take a good long look at them.

As you can see, this is Miami Heat owner, Mickey Aronson's Carnival Cruise Lines' Valor about to set sail into Government Cut.

Now, having outted myself as a snob in the post below, I'm sure you'll snigger to know that I wouldn't set foot on a Carnival cruiseship, if you paid me to.

That's not to say that it's only the QEII or QMII for me.

But you know, at least Royal Caribbean, or the Norwegian Cruise Line, for Pete's sakes.

Carnival is known to locals as the Projects-On-The-Sea, because of its low-rent quality to its passengers (which include many of my visiting relatives, by the way). You've never seen more tattoos, more low-rider pants and bare midriffs than on a Carnival liner, and I have been to Don Carter Bowling Alleys, believe you me.

Seriously, though, I like ships in general.

It's a pity I never really blogged about that Titanic exhibit which I had promised you during my King Tut Exhibit post, because it encapsulated a lot of my love of the sea, and of sea vessels in its enthusiastic travellogueness (is this a word? It is now!).

I have it there for you, perhaps one day, to reveal it when the time is suitable.

But not now. Today, we gape.




Just as if you were on the Macarthur Causeway, cheek-by-jowl to the biggest "Fun Ship" on the seven seas.

Don't you love how the people look so small up there? And yes, I waved.

Heck, I'm not THAT jaded.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • A little continued light-blogging, guys!

    But tomorrow, and the day after, I have planned for you a dilly of a treat. You'll see.

    Can you guess what it is?? ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Mar 03, 03:17:00 am GMT-5  

  • OT -- Victoria, do you like the Brazilian musician Gilberto Gil? He's coming here soon...

    By Blogger Ron, at Sat Mar 03, 03:14:00 pm GMT-5  

  • OT -- Victoria, do you like the Brazilian musician Gilberto Gil? He's coming here soon...

    My mother, who loves Brazilian music more than I do and is a cognoscenta of, ADORES Gilberto Gil's music.

    Me, I can't get past his politics, and his Bahiano bitterness about all things Rio. Plus, his espousal of Hugo Chavez doesn't help.

    So in short, no. ;)

    Caetano Velosos, politics and all, though, is another story -- he's a god.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Mar 03, 03:39:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Veloso...

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Mar 03, 03:39:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Ok, that's interesting...I knew nothing about the politics, but given "Little Moscow on the Huron"s, er, ah, Ann Arbor's, tendencies, this now doesn't surprise me...

    If you had to recommend a disc or two from Mr. Veloso, got a favorite? (This is how I learn new stuff! Ask someone else!)

    By Blogger Ron, at Sat Mar 03, 06:12:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Did you take a boat outing? More exciting Sundries travelogues?

    By Blogger Ron, at Sat Mar 03, 06:14:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Ron, I'm not the Caetano Veloso freak in the family. That's my mum.

    I have no idea about music in general, and albums, we won't even mention. ;)

    I'll ask!

    And yes, another travellogue. Of sorts.

    On Monday and Tuesday both. You'll see!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Mar 04, 01:56:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.