.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Speak Of The Devil




Just a turn-of-phrase, people. Don't all send me poison pen letters in Islamic rage.

Here is a timely snapshot, near Brickell Avenue in Miami proper. A lady covered in a flimsy version of the niqab, conversing with a male companion in front of her. I presume they live around the area, since the man has a lot of Winn-Dixie grocery bags in his hand.

The general Shenandoah/Brickell area is well-known to be a concentration for middle-to-upper class Middle Easterners, from Christian Lebanese to observant Muslims from Syria.

There are also lots of Greeks in the area, which makes for a hummus and tabouleh bonanza for those of us who love that sort of thing.

Check out the Daily Bread market, very near this shot above, at 2400 SW 27th St.

The Frommers guide says they are Greek, but I think they are mistaken, or else I'm thinking of another Middle Eastern market, which is like stepping into Ali Baba's cave for a moment.

I go there just to be able to ogle the INFINITE choices of olives in their brine, in barrels. Delicious.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • Ah, that's just a head scarf, or, as I like to call it, an "unshaped hat".

    There's nothing really odd about those. When I first some women wearing them, I assumed they were consertive Jews or Christians.

    By Blogger Alcibiades, at Tue Mar 20, 12:20:00 am GMT-4  

  • Victoria, you took out a blogad just for my blog? Is it possible for you to be any sweeter?

    Big, Gentle hug for you...just for being amazingly cool...

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Mar 20, 01:39:00 am GMT-4  

  • A Food note for Victoria...

    Check out Food Network tomorrow night, about 8pm your time. The program "Chefography" is profiling one of your favorites, Nigella Lawson (see, I remembered). They do a good job. Too good. Now I'M hooked...

    By Anonymous BrotherDarryl, at Tue Mar 20, 03:12:00 am GMT-4  

  • Ah, that's just a head scarf, or, as I like to call it, an "unshaped hat".

    You're so right. It's really just a burkha.

    There's nothing really odd about those. When I first some women wearing them, I assumed they were consertive Jews or Christians.

    I have rarely seen conservative Jewish women in South Beach wearing those scarves, and I am surrounded by Hassidim everywhere I turn (I realise they do, it's just that the ones here do not).

    They do wear the wigs though. You can tell them a mile away.

    As for conservative Christians, again, I'm sure they do, but I've never seen any conservative Christian wear them down here.

    She's definitely Muslim.

    That's not a sari-cum-pantaloon thingie she's wearing.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 20, 01:22:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Big, Gentle hug for you...just for being amazingly cool...

    You are worth it, Ron. :)

    (I love giving my friends presents...which reminds me -- Cuban carepackage, still want? Same address? I'll send you the Nietzsche DVD in it, if so!)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 20, 01:23:00 pm GMT-4  


  • Check out Food Network tomorrow night, about 8pm your time. The program "Chefography" is profiling one of your favorites, Nigella Lawson (see, I remembered). They do a good job. Too good. Now I'M hooked...


    I love it! Thanks so much. I will be sure to watch it, or no doubt, it's midnight re-run.

    Chefography, huh? Well, anything but Jamie Oliver, whom I LOATHE. ;)

    Missing you, Darryl...

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 20, 01:24:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Well, I was speaking for the New York/New Jersey area. It's a bit more common to see headscarves up there.

    By Blogger Alcibiades, at Tue Mar 20, 05:04:00 pm GMT-4  

  • (I love giving my friends presents...which reminds me -- Cuban carepackage, still want? Same address? I'll send you the Nietzsche DVD in it, if so!)

    Yes, please! Did you ever check out Carmen Miranda? Or even Cary Grant? I will find little net nuggets for you if you wish...

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Mar 20, 05:25:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.