.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, June 06, 2008

Barack Obama Gives America A New Vocabulary

(Welcome CNN.com readers!)

The night that Senator Obama clinched the Democratic Party's nomination for President of the United States, a lot of Americans not in the know, learnt two new phrases.

#1 - Dap

"A fist-on-fist greeting, front-to-front as if each person is punching each other on the hand"

I was watching it live and commenting on another blog, when I saw Senator Obama turn to his wife on the podium, and as she departed, I saw him give her what I erroneously called a "fist high five". A commenter there called Blue Moon, who is older than I, kindly informed me it was called a dap.

Here it is. Minute 1:23. Watch for it.



Nice little ass slap to the possible future First Lady, by the possible future President, too. That's his sweetie.

We weren't done yet, though! The next vocabulary enhancer of the night was yet to come.

#2 Boo

"Boyfriend or girlfriend"

Donna Brazile, the practically embedded Obama journalist on CNN, told Anderson Cooper:

"Anderson, you're not my Boo." To which he replied, "I wanna be your Boo."

The crew and commenters around him start to crack up, laughing their fool heads off on cable TV.

He then titters with that infectiously charming repetitive Vanderbilt laugh of his, and says, "I don't even know what that means."

Watch it here.



Yeah, Anderson, I didn't know what it meant either, but I think I know why they are laughing at some delicious inside joke.

Either way, as you can see, the instant ascendancy of Senator Barack Obama promises much for America. And number one on the agenda has got to be a richer vocabulary for us all.

I'm pumped.

(Does one still say that?)

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Vic, check your mail.

    Isn't "Boo" what some folks call their baby? Or is it derived from that?

    By Blogger JSU, at Fri Jun 06, 12:17:00 am GMT-4  

  • (Done)

    Hmm, good question. I call my mother Boo-Boo, but that's a holdover of when I used to watch Yogi Bear cartoons as a wee girlie.

    I also call her Cookie, for the Cookie Monster.

    Talking of inside jokes. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Jun 06, 12:28:00 am GMT-4  

  • Holy crap. If I start feeling any whiter, my eyes will turn pink and those Finch kids will start taunting me to come out.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Fri Jun 06, 01:23:00 am GMT-4  

  • LOL. Who are the Finch kids?

    BTW, I think it's generational, as much as you suggest, racial. We're out of the loop, slangwise.

    To add to my awkwardness, I'm British, and though I keep au courrant...I'm obviously not as much as I thought.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Jun 06, 01:33:00 am GMT-4  

  • I have some cool music from The DAP Kings...old school, r&b, very danceable...you good at the dancing, Vic?

    By Blogger Ron, at Fri Jun 06, 07:27:00 am GMT-4  

  • Finch kids are children o' Atticus in Harper Lee's novel "To Kill a Mockingbird." Scout and Jem spent the whole summer trying to 'get Boo Radley to come out.' I believe he was described as freakishly white, albino, transluscent or some such. Boo Radley was played by Robert Duvall in the film starring Gregory Peck.

    They can take their Daps and Boos and I'll see them a classic literary reference including albinism.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Fri Jun 06, 10:25:00 am GMT-4  

  • Speakin' of them there high-falutin' literary analogies, have you seen Scout Willis sister Rumer, in a bikini? Hot-cha!

    By Blogger Ron, at Fri Jun 06, 11:20:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.