.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, September 20, 2008

The One At UM

A Photoblog as promised earlier.

A perfect day on Lake Osceola bridge.

The "Hurry 'Canes" Shuttle...get it? Cute.

Some t-shirt vendors exercising their Godgiven American right to make a buck, even if they're commie pinkos. The one with the close-cropped hair is actually a girl who saw The One in Boston, and didn't mind missing out today. She was nice.

$10 bucks a pop. I passed.

"BaRack The Vote". Paris Hilton thought up that one.

Some feisty crowds were already out in force, urging motorists to bleep their horns. Two did. Most, surprisingly, didn't.

I had to be quick in taking this photo, as the place was teeming with coppers.

But soon I arrived at the Convocation Centre...

...flags waving, making me proud.

Just one of dozens of coaches full of senior citizens, probably bussed in from Boca or Delray.

One was wearing a "Barack To The Future" t-shirt, and the other an "Obama Mama!".

No indoor photos allowed, but my mother took this for me.

Crowds were thick coming, but oddly everyone scampered off quickly. Show's over.

All kinds of folk volunteered for this event.

No doubt hired to get out the vote by this totally, 100%, neutral entity, I'm sure. Check out the name. Wonder if they would register a Republican to vote, ya think?

What's a blogger to do after such a rousing event but go to the Bookstore?

For one, they had these coolissimo action figures!

"Ejector Head Action!" Curiously, also seen on the Bill Clinton version.

"WARNING: Choking Hazard". There is a God.

"Call To Action Figure". A must-have for Inauguration Day.

Magnetic and a puppet.

But you know you're at an University bookstore, and not your local Borders when you see Dorothy Parker fridge magnets. Dorothy Parker, people. They're flying off the shelves.

"God and Hillary Clinton" next to "Whatever It Takes". You can't make this stuff up.

Can't I hug my guns?

Oh, please. The Founding Fathers would retch. I kept walking.

The best part of this day were the people one got to meet. Like this charming guitarrist just chillaxing by the lake.

This guy was so cute! Lose the shirt, papi.

But if you need a shirt, let it be LIGHTED. Glow in the dark. Glitter. Throw some candles and potpourri on it. Make it sparkle!

Because you need candles to say a prayer for some people. So wait, "Greenpeace" but riding around in that clunker with sky-high emissions?


P.S.: Oh, one more. As discomfitted as I was during the rally, I confess, the sight of this bumpersticker (my first ever), really threw me.

Talk about some scary stuff.

Labels: , ,


  • Love it. I won't comment on your subtle Obama jabs (you're quite the miniature Trojan Horse going in there!), but I will say how funny it is that ALL University bookstores look exactly the same. UC Irvine's bookstore carries most of those same products and has the same sort of layout, display racks. And the same kind of hippie dippie crowds lounging about. I went to see Carter speak at UCI last year and you could have taken these same pictures here. Great stuff and well done!

    By Blogger Zachary Paul Sire, at Sat Sep 20, 01:46:00 am GMT-4  

  • Thanks, Zach! And thanks for indulging my snark.

    A few thoughts, just for you, and well, okay, others too. ;)


    This was an open-to-the-public event, and as such, didn't resemble any of the other ones I had attended there (Chief Justice Roberts, GW Bush, Al Gore, Bill Clinton), which were UM community only.

    Consequently, you could've sent me to the foot of our stairs at how surprised I was -- the people were composed of:

    80% Women, maybe more.

    85-90% Black Americans.

    Middle-aged, and above. Where I was, I was surrounded by old folk. I'm in my early thirties, but I felt like I was a strippling.

    And most curiously, the other events were choked with UM students. Clearly some of the photos show they were present, based on their characteristic dressed-down clothing.

    But NO WHERE near what I expected.


    Hard to explain, really. A mix of utter rapture, as you could see in the bugged-out eyes expression of the lady in the post below.

    But also nervous. An unsettled air to the crowd.

    Could it be that Florida is so far uncontestedly pro-McCain? Maybe they felt at last they were amongst their own, as sometimes I do when I'm surrounded by Conservatives. I know that feeling of being slightly unnerved I don't have to watch what I say -- I'm amongst those who are 100% on my side.

    So it wasn't a bad vibe. Just a curious one.

    The One

    Perhaps the most elegant politician I've ever seen in my life. His physique is like a sleek greyhound, with an astonishing sense of self and what will look good on him. He looked like a Prince amongst paupers.


    Not at all specific to Florida that I remember, which I think was a lost opportunity. Except for a nice mention to Rep. Wendy Wasserman and Donna Shalala, it could've been a stump speech anywhere in America.

    I didn't like the lipstick and pigs remark, which I thought was beneath him at this point. You also noted my displeasure about the "See ya" flippancy.

    It was, however, eerie to see him there, saying the things I hear being analysed on blogs and they dissect on cable news.

    You could tell the crowd were not as au courrant about that, because they applauded like mad at things I've heard him reference a dozen times. Just a nitpick though.

    It was a nice day, and though I arrived a little late, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

    I especially like the reaction of telling people were I was earlier that day.

    Jaws dropped.

    One Starbucks attendant gave me a free extra shot of espresso, just because. :)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Sep 20, 02:09:00 am GMT-4  

  • Saw one of those Ron Paul bumper stickers on the back of an Altima on my way to work yesterday. There was a very pretty lass in her mid-twenties driving it. I hoped she was trying to be "ironic" and didn't seriously think it was a good idea to peg the dollar to gold. Then again, I've always had a thing for crazy chicks...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Sep 20, 10:19:00 am GMT-4  

  • Victoria said: P.S.: Oh, one more. As discomfitted as I was during the rally, I confess, the sight of this bumpersticker (my first ever), really threw me.

    Which one, Ron Paul, the Grateful Dead or the juxaposition?

    (creepy Texan and Bay area vacuousness inhabiting one man's brain? :)

    Thanks for the slide show and snark. But keep up the Palinology- 'cuz that's where you really shine!!

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Sat Sep 20, 03:48:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Wow! I had no idea that was a Greatful Dead sticker. I wondered what that meant. ;)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Sep 20, 04:09:00 pm GMT-4  

  • The logo was a "dead" give away. :)

    BTW, if you follow that link back, you find that the page/image belongs to one Owsley Stanley , an interesting dude to say the least. Althouse even blogged about him once here .

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Sat Sep 20, 06:41:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Ron Paul's view on the Civil War still disturb me.

    Word Verification: hipocop ("Hippo Cop"?!)

    By Anonymous Alcibiades, at Sat Sep 20, 11:16:00 pm GMT-4  

  • "Magnetic and a puppet."


    By Blogger blake, at Wed Sep 24, 01:59:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.