.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Good Idea

Well, at least in theory.

Here is a new invention called "HAL" (Hybrid Assistive Limb), which sounds like a nod to 2001: A Space Odyssey, if ever I heard one.

It's a robotic suit, made by the Sankai and Cyberdyne company, which enables those with limited range and motion, get around easier.

Unfortunately, like many Japanese inventions, it tends to look goofier by trying too hard to be futuristic.

Witness the YoYoBot cellist, as I call him.

Don't get me wrong. Anything that helps the aged or handicapped is great.

But do they have to look like an AIBO in their dotage?

Labels: ,


  • the older I get, the less I care about what I look like to others (except for my little turkey neck)-

    if looking like an aibo would help me get around better (I have spondyloarthritis, which is increasingly getting worse), it is something I could live with-

    By Blogger George, at Tue Oct 07, 07:21:00 am GMT-4  

  • Sort of random thought from a conversation I had with my husband yesterday:

    We were talking about the era... early 50's maybe, or earlier... I think early 1940's... that there are television shows about and the men all have suits and horn rimmed classes and plastic hair and the women all have button hats and tidy suits with straight skirts just below their knees and sensible shoes and plastic hair and...

    And I said that the reason that era (whenever the heck it actually was) seems so distinct and odd and unnatural could be because people were self-consciously futuristic, then.

    It was the atomic age.

    The "tends to look goofier by trying too hard to be futuristic" comment reminded me of that conversation.

    By Blogger Synova, at Tue Oct 07, 06:42:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.