.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Best Party

Move over, Vince from Shamwow. This is my latest favourite advert on television! Adidas' "Celebrate Originality", which just happens to be the most expensive commercial ever shot.



It's like those old disaster films of the '70s. Every time you turn around, there's a famous person peeping out. Let's count 'em:

David Beckham schmoozing with Kevin Garnett. Russell Simmons, Young Jeezy, Brandy, Katy Perry, Estelle, Taye Diggs, Serena Williams blowing confetti, Chris Rock, Ilie Nastase, Kazuki, Ryukyudisko, Marlon Wayans, Missy Elliot (love her doing an updated version of the Car Wash -- I thought only us uncoordinated folk did that when dancing), Afra, Jeremy Scott, Mark Gonzales, Run DMC, Chad Hugo, The Ting Tings, Redman, Method Man, et so very al.

So do you like it? You have to admit, that song is just tight. It's "Beggin'" by Madcon, which those of you who remember is originally by Frankie Valli! Good Lord. What will these crazy kids rip off next?



Incidentally, one of the best parties I ever attended had a very similar vibe to this video.

It was in South America. I was invited by one of the scions of this elite family to come to a certain address. I went with a group by taxi to this extremely secluded area, which is rather daring of my parents since I was just 14 or so. They trusted me.

Turned out to be an entire building which had been rented for the express purpose of this party. Can you imagine that? Brilliant.

When I asked if it was a birthday party, a more seasoned boy smiled and replied: No. It's just a party. He grabbed my hand and we went running up the stairs, which were crowded with all manner of people, young and old, sitting, reclining, bending over, and lying around the stairwell.

Each flat had a theme, and since this was a pre-war building, they were often interconnecting like those still found in New York City.

One had jugglers, the other was a poetry reading, the next was a seance, one especially large flat was just dancing (only later was I told the group playing were one of the most famous rock bands in the country). There was a menagerie of animals, including chimpanzees and a flock of birds, located near the roof. Yes, there was even a mime that went around, but not one of those supercilious French versions -- he was a very recherché post-modern mime, rather as if Proust had come back to life, monocle and all, blowing soap bubbles.

As you entered one room, you took a whiff of nitrous oxide. Not only did I not do a Clinton, I enjoyed it.

I explored each room, each floor, yes, even each bathtub. I laughed and danced for hours. I lost and found my friends a dozen times, until we reunited for good for the final attraction.

All the lights were turned off suddenly, women screaming, like women do when something delicious is about to happen.

Suddenly, fireworks lit up the rooms from outside, setting alight the faces of all the people around me in a glow I have tried to duplicate in all my parties, without success.

See, originality is rarely original.

It merely exists until one day you discover it all over again.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • See, originality is rarely original.

    It merely exists until one day you discover it all over again.


    Yes:

    What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9-14 NIV)

    But:

    Whoever invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof, may obtain a patent therefor, subject to the conditions and requirements of this title. (35 U.S.C. §101)

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Thu Dec 11, 01:15:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Hehe, chickenlittle.

    I'm not against refashioning done things, you understand, despite not being a musical but a cinematic person (think about it -- musical persons are much more amenable to reprises, especially in opera or jazz, indeed, that's the whole point, interpretation; than those who watch costly remakes of films).

    I just like to be cognisant that there are very few new things under the sun.

    Keeps me humble.

    And I need help with that. :P

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Dec 11, 02:32:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Why be humble?

    [Zero Mostel voice]
    Flaunt it, baby, Flaunt it!

    By Blogger Ron, at Thu Dec 11, 04:04:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.