.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, December 13, 2008

I Told You!

Remember when I mentioned that the post-campaign firesale over at the McCain-Palin HQs could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Given the slapdash nature I observed in the Miami version, I feared something might let slip in one of the Dells or Blackberries being flogged to raise money after the failed Presidential run.

And so it was...

The D.C. Fox station bought up two of those super cheap $20 Blackerries, and got a hidden trove of information as a freebie!

We saw laptops ranging between $400 and $600 with logins like “WARROOM08.” We couldn’t log on without a password, but staffers assured us the hard drive would be zapped before it was sold, and the computer would probably work.

The hottest item? Blackberry phones at $20 a piece. There were only 10 left. All of the batteries had died. There were no chargers for sale. But people were snatching them up. So, we bought a couple.



And ended up with a lot more than we bargained for.

When we charged them up in the newsroom, we found one of the $20 Blackberry phones contained more than 50 phone numbers for people connected with the McCain-Palin campaign, as well as hundreds of emails from early September until a few days after election night.

We traced the Blackberry back to a staffer who worked for “Citizens for McCain,” a group of democrats who threw their support behind the Republican nominee. The emails contain an insider’s look at how grassroots operations work, full of scheduling questions and rallying cries for support.

But most of the numbers were private cell phones for campaign leaders, politicians, lobbyists and journalists.

We called some of the numbers.

“Somebody made a mistake,” one owner told us. “People’s numbers and addresses were supposed to be erased.”

“They should have wiped that stuff out,” another said. But he added, “Given the way the campaign was run, this is not a surprise.”

We called the McCain-Palin campaign, who says, “it was an unfortunate staff error and procedures are being put in place to ensure all information is secure.”

But we wonder-- Did we get the only Blackberry with personal campaign information in it? Or did you get one too?

What that Democratic pol's son in Tennessee didn't unearth when he hacked into Governor Palin's email account, might soon be laughable compared to the goodies inside these gadgets.

Ugh, please. Amateurs. And they thought they could run our country?

IN THE COMMENTS: Chickenlittle makes mention of my prescient predictions on Sundries, which I assure you is not an everyday thing with me. I'm not about to become a gypsy Tarot-reading soothsayer any time soon.

But I would like to draw your attention to one of my favourite predictions. It's particularly topical, and I still stand by it.

Way back on October 16, 2005, I predicted that Oprah would run for the US Senate one day. This passage gives me the chills.

Prediction: Oprah Winfrey will run for a Senate seat from Illinois one day.

Possibly for Dick Durbin's seat, or even Barack Obama's seat, should either make a serious bid for the US Presidency in 2008, or more to the point, 2012, one year after Oprah's contract is set to expire.

Barack Obama's seat would be doubly meaningful, not because she harbours any anti-Obama sentiments, au contraire!, but because it's the seat once held by Oprah's old friend, Carol Moseley-Braun.

Although Miss Winfrey's first political contribution on record is to a Republican, Susan Engeleiter's Wisconsin senatorial bid in 1988, to which Oprah contributed U$1,000, her second was to Carol Moseley-Braun (ten more Benjamins), in 1992.

Moseley-Braun famously went on to lose her bid for re-election to Peter Fitzgerald, who, in turn, opted not to run for his seat in 2004...which Barack Obama then won.

It's coming home, mama, it's coming home.

What do you think?

During the recent Blagogate news, my mind wandered and I thought, what if Obama is unseated due to a yet-uncovered (Chicago corruption/Acorn) scandal, and we get President Biden, who then chooses as his Veep, Hillary Clinton?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • I Told You

    Yes, you did. And when I saw that story break on Drudge, I immediately thought of your prediction.

    That's one reason why I keep coming back. You are a news forecaster. :)

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Sat Dec 13, 02:47:00 am GMT-5  

  • For some reason, I seem to get it right on Sundries, Chickenlittle.

    And I've noticed that you have keep good track of my predictions and forecasts! :)

    Remember when both you and I were creeped out by my Jörg Haider photo, hours before he died?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Dec 13, 03:01:00 am GMT-5  

  • Prediction: Oprah Winfrey will run for a Senate seat from Illinois one day.

    I see you've been at this forecasting business longer than I thought. I first got on board Sundries with this.

    Hmmm, Senator Winfrey...hadn't thought of that...she doesn't cut a good figure. My first thought was that that Alan Keyes could get it. I'll have to think it over. Anyway, your powers are still amazing.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Sat Dec 13, 04:18:00 am GMT-5  

  • Vic, did you snag me a phone or a 'puter? I could use either! Pretty please with sugar on it? :)

    By Blogger Ron, at Sat Dec 13, 05:07:00 am GMT-5  

  • Remember when both you and I were creeped out by my Jörg Haider photo, hours before he died?

    Yes, but for some reason I can't find that post of yours (unwilling to scroll) and you must not have tagged it "Haider".

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Sun Dec 14, 02:51:00 am GMT-5  

  • Sundries prediction coming true.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Fri Dec 19, 04:58:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.