.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering Angel Perez



This is Angel Perez Jr., of Jersey City, N.J., a photo whose face shows him crystallised for all time, when he was only 42 years old.

Angel died in the World Trade Centre attacks on September 11, 2001, after having worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, for a few years.

I am honouring him today, as part of the 24 hour 9/11 tribute, by the 2,996 project. I am the 2479th blogger, to have signed up.

UPDATE: Due to the perhaps expected volume, this site has been down all day. Here is an alternate site, which lists all 2996 victims and their accompanied blogger commemorator.

When I signed up for the project, I thought I could choose from perhaps a list of available persons who sadly perished that day.

In my mind's eye, I was going to choose a young British girl, perhaps from the south of England, and who had, just maybe, not led a very heralded life -- a mirror, as well as the polar opposite of myself.

But upon hitting send, a name came up already chosen for me.

And you know what?

That's exactly as should be.

On that day, no one chose to die or to live.

No one chose to be half-way up the stairs or half-way down the street.

No one chose whether they'd ever see their families again, or whether they'd have a chance to say goodbye properly, like everyone of us desires to do, at the moment of our death.

So it is only proper and fitting that by the same randomness of circumstance, or perhaps if you bear for a moment my religious tenets, by the inscrutable workings of Providence, that I was given Angel Perez as my honouree.

I have to say, it's been a hard slog to get any information on Angel. Phone calls were not returned, emails led no where, and though some people had memories, not all who were there, seemed to have particular memories of him.

Remember, a lot of people have since moved on in the intervening years, and some, well, they just never thought to pay much mind to those who in a split second, might be gone forever.

This isn't evil. This is human. We some of us do it, even now.

But perhaps this is exactly what makes Angel Perez such a representative member of the fallen victims of 9/11.

He was Everyman.

The guy who passes you by the hall of your office building, with a shy smile of greeting.

Or handing you some serviettes, in the falafel stand down the corner.

Maybe he's your neighbour, who you've sworn you would visit one of these days, if ever you had the time for more than an off-hand wave in the mornings, as you both rushed to work.

There are Angels everywhere.

And since September 11, 2001, our heaven has one Angel more.

If you have the time, please leave as many messages of condolence as you can, in the comments section.

I will pass them on to his family, and friends, with loving thanks to all.


OTHER BLOGGERS ARE REMEMBERING...

Michelle Malkin honours Giovanna Porras of Peru

The Anchoress honours Firefighter, FDNY Squad 1, Matthew David Garvey

Blogmeister USA honours Louis Steven Inghilterra

6 Comments:

  • I have no words that would assuage your grief over the loss to your family, but I, and many more like myself, will always respectfully give the love and care we have in our hearts whenever this day comes around again.

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Sep 12, 01:31:00 am GMT-4  

  • Thanks for your commentary, Ron.

    So many of his relatives are still in Puerto Rico, and therefore, nearly incommunicado, but I will try my best to pass this, and all the others on.

    Thanks again!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Sep 12, 01:37:00 am GMT-4  

  • Victoria,

    Please pass along my condolences as well.

    I had the privilege to honor NYPD officer Jerome Dominguez (http://redcoyote.blogspot.com/2006/09/in-memory-jerome-dominguez-911-2996.html). I also was not sure how names would be assigned for this project, but like you I think it worked out as it should have been.

    By Blogger Bob, at Tue Sep 12, 07:49:00 am GMT-4  

  • We will never forget Angel Perez and all the other good people who were so mindlessly taken away from their families and friends on 9/11.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Tue Sep 12, 10:21:00 am GMT-4  

  • Thank you for remembering.

    I remember Robert Levine, also a Cantor employee.

    By Blogger kateandjona, at Wed Sep 13, 01:14:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Angel looks like a nice man. Yes, he may well have been the person we pass by with a nod, never knowing that person well. I wonder if he knew my honoree, Gary H. Lee, who also worked at Cantor Fitzgerald. That company lost over 600 of its 'family' in the WTC attacks. Dreadful.

    Thanks, Vicks, for posting your tribute.

    By Blogger benning, at Sat Sep 16, 09:24:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.