.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fourbucks Gold Card

Are you a coffee addict? Perpetually on the go, unable to brew your own?

Then you might just need to get yourself Starbucks latest incentive to shop there, the Gold Card!



I just purchased mine, after a comical situation involving a Boca Raton barista claiming I needed to spend $2500 per year to make it pay off (wait, what? I know fuzzy maths when I hear it).

Well, I researched, and clearly I could recoup the yearly $25 fee almost in the first month, given my purchases. I will be able to save 10% on all purchases, which includes extra goodies like free coffee whenever you purchase a pound of coffee, and of course, 2-hour free AT & T Wi-Fi -- which makes going there an option again as I refused to pay for their daily T-Mobile Wi-Fi rate of $9.99.

From the Starbucks Gossip site:

"Included, as a Gold Card benefit, it seems Starbucks can track your purchases, and will provide their best customers with freebies, such as after buying 10 drinks, get one free, plus lots of free perks, and also giving a free drink of your choice on your birthday. Each specially selected participant will get a test Starbucks Gold card for this trial period which begins during this fall. If successful, Starbucks will roll out this pilot project nationally."

Well, they've clearly rolled it out nationally, as it has reached South Florida.

You know, Starbucks changed the way America drank coffee. Before they came along with their national franchises, this was a nation of Folger's and Maxwell House. Now, there is no service plaza in Florida that doesn't carry a Starbucks concession stand. More importantly, it's not that their overroasted coffee is all that great, but they were a conduit for national tastes to mature. Coffeegeek forums abound now, with Americans taking espresso obsessiveness to new heights.

I happen to like the old-fashioned American-style coffee, but I cannot do without my triple latte these days. Hope Fourbucks can pull out of the financial hole they find themselves in, as losing 97% of your quarterly profit is no joke.

They will start to close down stores, as a cost-cutting measure. The days of three Starbucks within two city blocks of each other might be over...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • You should go by the new Cafe Bustelo one and post about it!!!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Wed Nov 19, 12:19:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I've got so many coffeehouses around here, I never go to SB! Yow, I've never been to Wal-Mart either!

    By Blogger Ron, at Wed Nov 19, 12:58:00 pm GMT-5  

  • There's a Starbucks in the Target I go to.

    All I can really ask, is the coffee as bad as the Chai?

    I don't care for coffee but I like a Chai latte. The problem with Starbucks is that I can make a better chai latte at home with two tea bags (no syrup!) sugar, whole milk and my microwave.

    I'm having to learn how to order to get one that's worth drinking even just because it's already paid for... whole milk, no water, extra sweet... missed the extra sweet last time...

    I've ordered a chai latte at both of the local coffee shops (no Starbucks up here in the mountains) and all I had to do was say "chai latte" and I got a big cup of thick, frothy, wonderful... stuff.

    The one place always had fancy custom coffee bean mixes. The last time I was at the other, they had a new set up of special import beans. (Makes note to self to stop by and see if they have straight Kona.)

    By Blogger Synova, at Wed Nov 19, 02:25:00 pm GMT-5  

  • U ♥ ★$

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Wed Nov 19, 05:38:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.