.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, November 06, 2008

I'm Back And I'm Raring To Go

There is no other way of putting it. Election Night 2008 was one of the worst nights of my life.

I'm not talking just of the psychological toll the near-certain win by Senators Obama and Biden, as polls closed and the results crept by, including the State I had gone on record saying would remain Red, my own -- Florida.

But perhaps somewhat prophetically, my body started collapsing.

At 5 PM, I knew something was terribly wrong.
By 6 PM, I was running a high fever.
By 8 PM, my throat was aflame.

By 9 PM (when it was almost certain McCain-Palin would lose), my body started shutting down; telling it to sleep and conserve its energies, so I did. I slept for a while, but woke up to post what I did on Althouse, and to post the four lowly little posts on Sundries.

I didn't want to leave you guys, who mean so much to me, without einen Punkt setzen.

Then I turned off every means of communication I had on me, from mobiles, internet, television, Kindle, everything and slept. I woke up at 4 AM covered in perspiration -- I touched the sheets, and it was like a swimming pool. I changed sheets, took a shower (which horrified my mother, raised in the deathly cold of more northern climes), and slept a further 12 hours after that.

All day Wednesday, I slept. I only woke up for the troika of O'Reilly-H&C-Greta (more about that later) and promptly turned everything off again.

Only a few hours ago did I wake up, slightly improved but still coughing and hoarse. If you were to talk to me, it would be like hearing a rather damped version of Harvey Fierstein.

Here I am, though. Fired up, and ready to take on all comers. My own life has been characterised by winning rather than losing. I have God to thank for that, my parents, but also my own resolve.

Life likes winners.

When Life gives me lemons, I don't make lemonade, I throw a parade. Balloons, band, clowns, the works. This blog has been the equivalent of me throwing a parade every day for the past two months. Maybe the frequency might be dimmed in the coming months, but never the intensity.

Above all I want to say this:

Let no American reading this feel down in the mouth should you feel forlorn today politically. The one good thing about this election, regardless of result, is that it allowed certain "Republicans" to be smoked out for the elitist, dismissive, vindictive human trash that they are.

Those of us who had to endure that, will never forget what they said.

Never mind the Democrats and their allies in media -- they are the opposition, and to think they would be kindly or even fair towards anyone who posed a threat to getting back power is childish.

We need to reinvent the wheel on the Republican side, having lost sight of what we feel is important:

- Small, capable government
- National security
- Decreased taxation
- Accountability and responsibility
- American values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness


Whoever comes closest to promoting these in their political careers in 2012 will have my support. The next four years of our lives will be wonderful. It always is when you have a GOAL.

So, are you ready to turn the page on history, Sundries readers?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • Hope you feel better Vic!

    Your post is right on, but we have to start regaining seats in 2010!!!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Thu Nov 06, 11:46:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Glad you're feeling better.

    (more about that later)

    Are you referring to the Palin media pile on? Something smells funny there. It's important enough that McCain needs to speak up. I don't recognize/trust the people pushing the stories. It certainly strikes a chord with those who want to abort her career. Please do tell us your thoughts.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Fri Nov 07, 12:23:00 am GMT-5  

  • Dahlink! Put your feet up. Here, a pillow. Some soup? Foot Message? Gleeful song? Astaire-like Terpsichorean shuffling? Well -- I can graciously give nearly all of those things...

    You move us all up, baby!

    By Blogger Ron, at Fri Nov 07, 12:54:00 am GMT-5  

  • "having lost sight of what we feel is important"

    You forgot the most important:

    No "ruling class" pretensions. This is America.

    By Blogger JSU, at Fri Nov 07, 01:38:00 am GMT-5  

  • Hope you feel better Vic!

    Your post is right on, but we have to start regaining seats in 2010!!!


    I want the entire Congressional leadership overturned. My hope was that Boehner would be replaced with rising star Paul Ryan of Wisconsin (Wisconsin!), who I heard speak a few times, and was blown away by his conservative right-onness.

    McConnell should also be out.

    Will the Republicans have the cojones to do so? I doubt it. Sigh.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 07, 02:57:00 am GMT-5  

  • Thanks, Chickenlittle! (You too, Jose, I forgot to say so!).

    Please do tell us your thoughts.

    Well, I do touch on it a bit in the Election Post-Mortem thread I just finished publishing. I feel too raw emotionally to touch on specifics about it. I heard Ace of Spades has a thread in the 1000s of comments, but I haven't read it yet.

    Let me just say that I used to like Nicole Wallace early on. She was a well-spoken, ex-Bush operative, who seemed very competent.

    When I found out that she, her husband and Steve Schmidt (who first championed Palin!) were probably behind some of these rumours, I wanted to serrate them alive.

    I've heard the persons behind this are Romney-ites, but wonder who they are referring to specifically...

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 07, 03:01:00 am GMT-5  

  • Thanks, Ron! I really could use a little Fred-and-Ginger right now, actually...

    JSU:

    No "ruling class" pretensions. This is America.

    I don't know how we can turn this bewildering attitude around. Rural white blue-collar people are now the equivalent of scum in America, whereas anything urban, no matter how scuzzy, is preferrable.

    If you have ideas, I would be happy to hear them. ;(

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 07, 03:04:00 am GMT-5  

  • Hey there, Vic -

    Welcome back from the voodoo cold or whatever....I had pneumonia last December and I thought I was gonna croak....especially when the cough medicine the doc gave me (and I wasn't coughing), caused me major hallucinations, like blue goo coming through the ceiling and the Ghosts of Christmases, past, present and future visiting....but I digress...

    Paul Ryan IS a star and he is from my home state of WI. He ran awesome commercials that told us we need to get back to the business at hand. (NBC15 out of Madison may have some on their website, but I'm not sure...you'd like him.) Fairness in everything. Fairness in jobs. Fairness in the economy.

    He is a true bright spot in the USand Wisconsin. Between Paul Ryan, Sarah Palin, Bobby Jindal....they may all be able to get this Republican party back to where it should be...and hopefully by 2010 to regain Senate and House seats.

    Thank you, again, for providing the closure to the election.

    Ruth Anne and I have had some dialogues via email and the phone. It's a challenge, for sure, working in government in a very liberal state.

    Get well and we look forward to your continued inspirational posts and dialogue!!

    Peggy DaValt

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Fri Nov 07, 08:45:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.