.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Thank You John And Sarah

Thank you to Senator John McCain for showing the world what a class act he is in defeat.

Would that other politicians facing his situation show the same balance between congratulating his opponent and gratitude to his supporters. Thank you to the Senator for his statesmanlike character in conducting a campaign which by any metric, was honourable and decent.

Even in this photograph above you can see the Arizona Senator try to quell the more vociferous in the crowd, so that no ill-spirited message carry the day in the name of the Republican Party.

Thank you also to Governor Sarah Palin for her fiery demeanour, her conservative values and her incredible, almost unfathomable frontier spirit.

She endured a super-concentrated potion of media and popular scrutiny for the better part of 2 months, in what would've depressed or defeated a lesser woman. Her eyes glistened with tears as she heard her running mate concede defeat, and so did mine, as I crumpled my face in anguish just looking at her standing on that podium.

But I am proud of her in victory as I am in defeat for all that she meant to Conservatives in this inevitably Democratic year.

Is it too early to look forward to 2012? Yes.

But let everyone on Sundries know that 2012 cannot come soon enough -- it will usher in my support of Sarah Palin for President.

Everyone has their time. God knows the reason why that is. But I know that one day her time will come and when it does, we will all be there for Sarah...again.

Labels: ,


  • Watching Sarah hold it together had us all sobbing. Thank you, John and Sarah. You gave us back our "fight."

    We'll be there, 2012.

    (Good Lord, I am never drinking this much again. I've wanted to throw myself off the roof all night, and am just now sobering up and regaining a sense of perspective and humor.)

    By Blogger Bekah, at Wed Nov 05, 12:40:00 am GMT-5  

  • I'm glad you are, Bekah. I fear it'll be a while yet for me, being alas all too stone cold sober.

    Thanks for your words, though. I hope our political adversaries realise that perhaps they wouldn't have been as gracious in defeat, as we are attempting to be.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Nov 05, 12:59:00 am GMT-5  

  • Victoria:

    Alas, bittersweet.

    Reading responses around the usual blog, thanks for your “sober” thoughts. Once again you’ve shown a pathway to a muddle through.

    You mentioned in another post here about taking some time off (which you richly deserve). Please do so, as much as you need. Also know that a few of us have discovered a new home, so don’t be too long. :)


    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Wed Nov 05, 02:48:00 am GMT-5  

  • Vic -- It took a 'perfect storm' of events to elect Obama. Perhaps under more normal weather conditions we shall see a different outcome...

    By Blogger Ron, at Wed Nov 05, 05:01:00 am GMT-5  

  • Nobility in defeat is something I've always struggled with, and an admirable quality indeed.

    It panned out pretty much as I expected, and the GOP was up against it from the outset really.

    I just hope people are clever enough to ignore the inevitable media spin about the groundbreaking nature of the Dems victory.

    They had vastly greater resources to spend, huge media bias in their favour, an inbuilt advantage of not representing the incumbant party, and in no way was Obama ever an underdog of any kind.

    We're not a 'toppled establishment', but gallant underdogs that fought hard but just couldn't overcome huge odds.

    By Blogger Sir Benjamin Nunn, at Wed Nov 05, 05:32:00 am GMT-5  

  • How in their right mind, can anyone want Sarah Palin as President after seeing here bungle her way through a VP campaign?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 05, 06:16:00 am GMT-5  

  • Good morning, Vic -

    After NBC called it for Obama at 10 p.m. CST, I went to bed last night, I listened to Senator McCain give his most gracious of gracious concession speech....and I did cry....I cried for the woulda, coulda, shoulda, of this election.

    But as you have pointed out, the time was not correct for McCain-Palin. God will watch over us. We must believe.

    I do not think I would want to be President-elect Obama. It'll be a tough road to hoe and I am thinking that all of my friends and co-workers who voted for him are happy for the next 4 years.

    I already heard that Obama is pushing for another billions of dollar stimulus package as well as pushing for FDR-esque programs.

    For me, I will be holding on to my pocketbook and any change I can get. And, it's not the change that everyone voted for.

    Thanks, Vic, for everything.

    Peggy :)

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Wed Nov 05, 07:56:00 am GMT-5  

  • Also know that a few of us have discovered a new home, so don’t be too long.


    By Blogger knox, at Wed Nov 05, 09:23:00 am GMT-5  

  • I didn't watch. Anything. Election.

    We stuck in a History Channel DVD.

    Then after the hubby went to bed I put in the extended version of The Return of the King and watched the Good Guys triumph, flaws and all, over the Bad Guys.

    My 91 year old mopther sat through all 4+ hours of it!

    For us "today is not this day" in a different way.

    Work hard, lobby your congresspeople to be faithful to the constitution (no "Fairness" Doctrine, no card checks, accurate and legal voter registrations, equal polling place law enforcement etc.).

    And think Palin, Jindal, Steele .... And Fred Thompsn to head the RNC for a positive change. There are good people out there.

    Thanks Victoria for sharing your enthusiam and love of your country with us.

    By Blogger JAL, at Wed Nov 05, 09:29:00 am GMT-5  

  • "Also know that a few of us have discovered a new home, so don’t be too long.


    Victoria has ditto-heads! Me too.

    I hope for the best for President Obama. I did not support him as a candidate and will vigorously oppose his more frightening ideas, should he try to put them into practice as President - but I will not permit myself to descend into the swampy politics of personal destruction practiced by too many of his followers during his campaign and during the eight years preceding his election. Given our situation -- two wars, a national and global financial crisis, a fractured electorate -- his failure would also necessarily be the failure of our country. So: may he succeed, as a man, as a leader, and as our President, in the best of all possible ways.

    By Blogger mrs whatsit, at Wed Nov 05, 09:56:00 am GMT-5  

  • I just hope that either Americans don't know what they have just done, or that I'm wrong about Obama. Also, I was totally taken aback by the loss of Florida, and particularly by such margins. Does our hostess have any ideas how this happened? My working hypothesis about the general election is that GOP voters somehow didn't show. Hence the apparent party spread of 40 - 32. I hadn't expected that either. I guess I don't know very much... [Eats crow].

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 05, 10:07:00 am GMT-5  

  • Being right and winning are two different things. Thanks for the very nice trip during this interminable election cycle.

    Let's hope the outcome is different next time around. Let's pray there still something left to fight for, besides our loved ones.

    By Blogger Darrell, at Wed Nov 05, 03:00:00 pm GMT-5  

  • McCain's people are crapping on her already. Typical.

    Time to change the top post...

    By Blogger JSU, at Wed Nov 05, 08:45:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Carl Cameron was on O'Reilly tonight, dishing the gossip like a junior high mean girl. [I swear he swished when he dished]. It was appalling. There's a little bit of class bias/elitist snobbery/mean back-biting in that erratic failed campaign.

    Pathetically sad and ultimately, it will galvanize support for Sarah. What do you think she'll do with four years to study, and focus and game-plan? I think she is not one to be misunderestimated.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Wed Nov 05, 09:35:00 pm GMT-5  

  • McCain staffers talking to the media confirms the gut feeling of the base toward McCain.

    Sarah gave McCain the best shot he'll ever have. He should personally put the first million into her campaign kitty. An additional 40% of the base showed up at the polls because of her, giving up their plans to stay home and let McCain take the shellacking(like they did at the midterms). HER credibility was hurt when she had to take on McCain's positions on global warming, amnesty, open borders, Bush bashing, ad infinitum. Sarah Palin is the real deal. She has my support whenever she puts out the call. Too bad McCain didn't give the voters a true alternative to Obama across the board. I hope Sarah learns that lesson. Close to 90% of Americans don't buy into the "sky-is-falling" aspects of all-natural climate change. What was Bush's 'dismal' economic record? Tax cuts(including big ones for sub-$150K taxpayers? Almost 50% at the low end.) That assures a tough row to hoe for the next Republican candidate by not challenging that nonsense this time around.

    By Blogger Darrell, at Thu Nov 06, 01:53:00 am GMT-5  

  • Good plan, Alex!

    You first.

    By Blogger Bekah, at Thu Nov 06, 03:35:00 am GMT-5  

  • Vic, Thanks for staying with it all thru the campaign. Have enjoyed reading & hope to continue to do so!
    My vote was cast for McCain-Palin, but I love my country & would be very happy to look back 4-8 years from now & say I was wrong about Obama. Here's hoping he's used all of his questionable associates & not vice versa!
    I'm not saying she's a perfect fit, but for me, Palin was the only bright spot in this whole election.

    By Blogger Laurie, at Thu Nov 06, 09:19:00 am GMT-5  

  • Good morning, everybody!

    Let's have a bit of a laugh It is even funnier because it is true!!

    By Blogger ElcubanitoKC, at Thu Nov 06, 12:39:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Alex and mnotaro/road warrior/whatever, never post on this blog again.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Nov 06, 09:25:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Thanks V

    By Blogger The Drill SGT, at Thu Nov 06, 09:31:00 pm GMT-5  

  • My pleasure, Drill SGT. Nice to see you, BTW. :)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Nov 06, 10:07:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.