.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, November 07, 2008

Palin To Fight Back On Greta


Governor Palin will be interviewed by Greta van Susteren on Sunday/Monday, which will be broadcast live from Alaska by Greta on Monday, 10 PM EST.

I told you that Greta van Susteren (and her PUMA husband) were very partial to the Palins, both of them, once they finally met them. Her motivation was revealed yesterday in this interview with ex-Governor Jane Swift of Massachussetts, a Palin supporter.

VAN SUSTEREN: And she gets a call from the head of the party who says "Will you be my nominee?" And from then on it's open season.

SWIFT: So I think in the party what we need to do is remember that our goal should be to build the party to attract new voters, to get maybe some of those young voters. And there's a lot of what Sarah Palin brings to our party that we need-youth, energy--

VAN SUSTEREN: I don't care about her party.

SWIFT: Well, I do.

VAN SUSTEREN: I care about what she does for women.

SWIFT: Listen, if both parties aren't in the game in promoting women and getting us good candidates and then treating them well when they decide to run, then you won't have any women, because this is a partisan political game.

Greta parked herself in Alaska, and by all accounts, got a good handle on Governor Palin's hometown, and her ethos as a politician from Wasilla. She genuinely wanted to report fairly on the Governor. To know Sarah Palin seems to be to like her, or at the very least to respect her, and this is the crucial missing X-Factor with all the talking heads. They neither care nor wish to care about Sarah Palin's story.

It's like she arrived as a blank slate, conceived in the Gibson interview, midwifed by Fey, and brought into the world by Couric.

Greta van Susteren, incidentally, knows a thing or two about villified American politicians.

Did you know that her parents' house in Appleton, Wisconsin was sometimes the makeshift home of Senator Joseph McCarthy? I am sure the Wisconsite Sundries readers knew, but I didn't until recently.

Maybe it is this sensitivity which allows her to reach out to a woman she sees being dragged through the mud, for no other reason than the threat she poses to the other side, particularly the ideological nabobs.

Palin has nothing in common with the self-destructive, flawed Joe McCarthy, but if she doesn't defend herself from these abominably underhand charges, she may lose her narrative once again.

I will echo what Michelle Malkin asks in her blogpost today:

Where is John McCain during all this? Why doesn't he speak up in defence of his ex-running mate? Does honour end when a campaign does?

I rather think that he doesn't want to speak up for fear of being dishonourable to Senator Obama, and trying to take away from his limelight this week. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt about this, but there comes a point when if MSNBC, CNN, and Fox are all talking about these charges, and there is dead silence on his part, it seems that he is tacitly agreeing that they are true.

Who is the dishonourable person then? Speak up John McCain, at last.

Labels: , ,


  • I totally agree!
    John McCain needs to step up and defend her.
    Thanks for the post!

    By Blogger What's Her Face, at Fri Nov 07, 03:50:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Here, more info on the matter. Notice the statistics. I wonder whose narrative they don't fit.

    By Blogger ElcubanitoKC, at Fri Nov 07, 05:05:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I called John McCain and left a message with his Senate office in Arizona to that effect.

    I worked one summer in Appleton. In the Outagamie County Courthouse, there was [at least in 1987] a bust of old Tail Gunner Joe on a pedestal in the entryway.

    Greta has a great rapport with the Wasilla insiders. She had live links to friends and relatives of Sarah on the night of her speech and debate. I have made a point of staying tuned to Greta when she's talking about Palin. Her gretawire.com is also a fun free-for-all commentary.

    I usually turn her off when she focuses on the grisly-case-du-jour, though.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Fri Nov 07, 06:30:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I am sure the Wisconsite Sundries readers knew, but I didn't until recently.

    I did not know that. I did know that Harry Houdini grew up in Appleton (but was born in Hungary). I also knew that Orson Welles was from Kenosha, and that Fredric March was from Racine, and that Eric Heiden was from Madison, and that Frank Lloyd Wright was from Richland Center.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Fri Nov 07, 06:56:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Sorry for the previous of topic blurt. It's been many, many, years since I actually lived in Wisconsin, so maybe the McCarthy/van Susteren fact was an unknown known when I was there. :)

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Fri Nov 07, 07:03:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I'm fascinated by all the Wisconsin-natives on Sundries. Of course, I probably have reaped from the Althouse connexion in that regard, but still -- I have only once met a Wisconsite down here in SoFla, and she was to the Left of Che.

    What a delight to find so many who aren't!

    I think I like cheeseheads.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Nov 08, 02:51:00 am GMT-5  

  • Ernie, gracias! Over 90% of Republicans approved of Palin. The problem, to put it baldly, was McCain, not Palin.

    Ruth Anne, good idea dude. I will do the same.

    What's her face, thanks for the visit and comment. Glad you agreed. :)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Nov 08, 02:52:00 am GMT-5  

  • FYI: Willem Dafoe is also an Appletonian. NYC may be the Big Apple and Minneapolis may be the Mini-Apple, but Appleton is the Little Apple.

    Every Sunday night, one of the rock stations [Apple 101] in town would feature whole albums which they called "Apple Sider." Geez, I love puns.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Sun Nov 09, 07:13:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.