.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, December 25, 2008

About Those Movies

As you can imagine, I am angry I didn't get off the Movie guide on time. I am working on it, in between family time.

However, just to get the ball rolling, here are Box Office Mojo's poll's partial results, on the films its readership would like to see this weekend.

What is your top choice to see Christmas weekend (Dec. 25-28)

37.7% The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
13.4% Valkyrie
10.8% Bedtime Stories
9.2% The Spirit
5.3% Marley and Me
5.1% No interest this weekend.
4.0% Twilight
3.1% Slumdog Millionaire
2.2% Yes Man
2.0% The Day the Earth Stood Still
1.7% Other
1.6% Seven Pounds
1.6% Doubt
0.9% Bolt
0.8% The Tale of Despereaux
0.6% Four Christmases

I voted for Valkyrie, which my father has been in a tizzy to see particularly. Strange really, considering his father was on the other side in WWII, and never let my mother forget it...

As for "Despereaux", I am giving it a good review overall, because I liked the film's self-confidence. However, it is definitely not for kids under 10 as it has quite scary visuals, which robs it of its natural appeal. But I can see why very few people have it high on their viewing list this Christmas season.

Oh and whilst I am at it, "Four Christmasses" should not be viewed by any sentient human being.

Given that South Florida has a plethora of wonderful movie theatres, I like to choose the atmosphere of one cinemahouse over the other, given the kind of film I am watching. That's why I went to the Regal Palace in Westchester for Andy Garcia's "The Lost City", because I knew the old Cubanitos that go there would be the perfect receptive audience.

(To this day, it ranks as one of the most moving collective movie-going experiences I have had. The entire audience started clapping at the end, since they had lived through what Garcia had explored. It was heart-wrenchingly beautiful to be a part of that audience)

So it'll be the Muvico Parisian for "Benjamin Button" as it requires a plush, elegant seat for a nearly three-hour film; the Muvico Paradise for "Marley & Me" for the raucous family atmosphere; and the best cinemahouse in the world, the Muvico Palace in Boca Raton, for "Valkyrie". I already have the tickets (it sold out on Tuesday).

P.S.: I've also already chosen what I'll be wearing to each cinemahouse, but I'll spare you the details. Or maybe start a new blog, "What is Victoria wearing?".

Labels: ,


  • Merry Christmas to you, Victoria.

    I would have liked to see The Lost City at that theater with you and the Cubans.

    It didn't get the same reaction with the smattering of Jews I saw it with in Encino. :]

    By Blogger blake, at Thu Dec 25, 04:31:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Merry Christmas, Vic.

    Please check your email.

    On this topic, I was going to suggest opening a do-it-yourself movie guide for your commenters, but... Well, maybe we can use this topic. ;)

    By Blogger JSU, at Thu Dec 25, 07:35:00 pm GMT-5  

  • As you can imagine, I am angry I didn't get off the Movie guide on time.

    Angry Sundries makes me sad :(
    Don't stress over it.
    I love cheery Sundries :)

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Fri Dec 26, 10:50:00 am GMT-5  

  • I'm interested in what you think of Benji Buttons. I saw it last night and did not enjoy it, basically (a semi review is up on the blog). Left me cold, with lifeless characters and distracting visual effects. David Fincher is at his best doing Zodiac and Se7en...not fairy tales and love stories, if that's even what BB was supposed to be. Blah.

    What did you think?

    By Blogger Zachary Paul Sire, at Fri Dec 26, 04:20:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Just an update guys:

    Didn't see Valkyrie, after all. I still have the tickets. It was packed when we arrived almost 30 mins before, and I didn't want to watch with a hurting neck. :(

    Didn't see Benji yet, Zach, but I sense it is a "cold" movie. We'll see, though. Check back tomorrow please!

    Chickenlittle, you are right. I also like cheery Sundries better!

    That's why I am going to ramp up my sexy posts. Have I got a lulu in store soon. ;)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Dec 27, 11:22:00 am GMT-5  

  • But I did enjoy Benjamin Button. It was an epic film with great cineamatography. My mother even enjoyed it and couldn't believe how quickly the story unfolded.

    I have seen Milk a documentary film about gay rights' activist, Harvey Milk. Sean Penn deserves acclaim for his portral of Harvey Milk. It was almost eerie how he became the character as a photo was shown of Milk at the end. While I do not agree with the lifestyle chosen by Milk and others, they did take to heart everything they believed in and was shown in this movie.

    I hope to see Valkyrie as well as Doubt and The Reader as well as Gran Torino and Revolution Road.

    However, I'll be dog showing it this weekend, so no chance for movies.

    Please folks, check out my blog (shameless ad here, Vic) as I had a Christmas miracle happen to one of my dogs. The story is called Christmas Coal: A Miracle for 2008.

    Enjoy 2009 everyone and cheers to you, Victoria for a great blog.

    And grandbaby Palin is here!!

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Tue Dec 30, 01:39:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.