.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Tipjar

Every year, I give a little something to Christmas-themed charities. This year I am hurting the same as everyone else. It seems I am credit-rich, but cash-poor. I am tightening my belt as I type.

Yet, I still found a few pennies to send to one of my favourite organisations, Toys for Tots, run by the Marine Reserves to give toys to underprivileged children every Christmas.

Should you be able to spare some dosh, and believe me, I know it's hard, it's not too late. Help to put a smile unto some kid's face on Christmas Day!


Oh, incidentally, did you read this?

This holiday season is a time to examine who’s been naughty and who’s been nice, but I’m unhappy with my findings. The problem is this: We liberals are personally stingy.

Liberals show tremendous compassion in pushing for generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad. Yet when it comes to individual contributions to charitable causes, liberals are cheapskates.

Arthur Brooks, the author of a book on donors to charity, “Who Really Cares,” cites data that households headed by conservatives give 30 percent more to charity than households headed by liberals. A study by Google found an even greater disproportion: average annual contributions reported by conservatives were almost double those of liberals.

It doesn't have to be Toys for Tots, or a Catholic-based charity like I also donate moneys to at Christmas. Choose which ever one you want.

Charity shouldn't be a question of political inclination. It's just a question of doing the right thing. So, pace Spike Lee and Governor Huckabee, do the right thing.

Labels: , , ,


  • Charity at Home: My wife is constantly recycling used and barely used stuff with AMVETs. My daughter is a natural giver too. She’s only 9 and already gives cash donations out of her allowance to the Humane Society; she also fosters kittens for them at home. She empties our pantry for food drives at her school, and she volunteers 3 hours every Saturday with a therapeutic horseback riding program for disabled kids. I can’t take any credit for their initiative, but I am an enabler and a good provider. I’m coming to realize that that is not enough; in fact I’m starting to worry that I’m a poor example.
    My dad used to dumpster dive (he scuba dived too)and resell things at garage sales. If he had lived to see it, he would have easily been one of those E-bay professional wheeler-dealers. His personal living space was always crammed with stuff. I’m not sure the thought of giving things to those beyond his immediate family even occurred to him. My wife would never grant me the license my mother gave my father, but I have his urges.

    I’ve decided that the best thing I’m giving this Christmas is going to be the time I spend with them over the next few days, but especially my son. He’s already showing signs that he needs some special attention. I’m even tempted to duct-tape my laptop shut for few days (my wife would love that).

    P.S. I also wanted to wish all fellow Sundries readers the very best, and especially you Victoria—Merry Christmas and God bless you and yours!

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Wed Dec 24, 12:25:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.