.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, December 15, 2008

Aussie Ad Breaks Back Of GLBT

The Australian GLBT chapter have found a Telstra television advert to be highly "homophobic". When they sought to file an official complaint in a government website, they found that the site was not equipped for such a complaint. This in turn was judged to be "discriminatory".

I read the article before I saw the video, so I was expecting something really insulting. Perhaps a 'light in your loafers' comment by an actor, or perhaps the gratuitous throwing of fudge (humour me).

But this is the spot they took grave offense to.

You know what really struck me about this ad?

That two grown Australian men would be excited to watch a sport shamefully known as "w*g ball" in Australia (soccer being the chosen sport of non-British emigrés). That's because "real Australians" play Aussie rules football.

Progress isn't always progressive, guys. Sometimes the progress is about something else.

Anyway, have you seen Aussie rules footballers in action?

Labels: , , ,


  • Hi Victoria,

    Thought I'd drop by and wish you peace and joy for Christmas.

    I'm looking for a new neighborhood. the Althouse blog has been dumbed down by the simpering liberalism, post election. Ick.



    By Blogger Michael_H, at Tue Dec 16, 09:02:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Hey Michael_H! I am so happy you came over, though it is not my intention to take any reader "away" from Althouse (not that you suggested that, of course).

    In fact, I hug to my heart the wish that one day (one day...) Althouse the blog returns to being what it was.

    Dare we hope?

    The "problem" with my blog is that I am not as dedicated to it as, e.g. Instapundit or Althouse are to theirs.

    But if you can stand a few delays here and there, please put your feet up, and make yourself comfortable here. I like to think I give good blog. ;)

    My best to you and your family this Christmas season, either way! :)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Dec 16, 09:13:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Vic, thanks for posting over at Althouse! There is much love for you there still. I have sent Darcy your way, and she and I now email each other a bit, as she lives not too far off. When I do a 'meet-up' with other Ann Arbor Althousians, I will let you know!

    I'm not especially liberal myself, but I am loyal!

    Mucho love to you, sweet Sundries!

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Dec 16, 09:18:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.