.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, December 15, 2008

The UnCola

New York's Governor David Paterson wishes to institute a budget booster in taxing non-diet soft-drinks to the tune of 15%. There are so many ramifications to this proposal, that the mind reels.

First, we all know that taxes are a slippery slope. Yesterday, the illegalisation of trans-fat; today, regular Coke gets taxed; tomorrow, sugar may require a special license?

Second, taxing goods because they are bad for you is one of those nightmare scenarios hated by most conservatives and Libertarians -- it is State intrusiveness run amok.

Third, do you know who will be hit hardest by any tax on regular soft-drinks? The poor, especially blacks, Hispanics, and newly-arrived immigrants. It certainly won't be the Park Avenue matron who subsists on lettuce and Evian, or the pilates-obsessed suburbanite who hasn't drunk a Mountain Dew since 1979.

But, of course, the underlying message of this tax is that citizens have shown themselves disgraceful enough to be fat, and to continue their intake of unhealthy foods despite all reason telling them otherwise.

No economic crisis is without its inherent peril, but the most awful peril that it brings is the opportunity it gives those to benefit by it.

In California, with an overtaxed economy desperately trying to inject moneys into the system, it was the car tax. In New York, will it be the Coke tax?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Oh this really irritates me, Victoria. And...pisses me off.

    I, for one and I'm sure I'm not alone, cannot drink anything with NutraSweet or artificial sweeters in it as I get a wicked headache that gives me migraine-esque test-pattern images in my eyes and my fingers and nose tingle. I found this out one time when drinking hot cocoa with NutraSweet(aspartame).

    Sugar is a natural product. We actually plant it and grow it.

    What about women, who are pregnant, who are told to avoid Nutra Sweet (aspartame)?

    I think if people in the State of NY want to tax sugar, they'd better get a life and get back to work on something productive.

    Why don't they tax the weather? It makes just about as much sense to me.

    Grrrrrrrrrrrr....thanks for letting me vent....(where it's very bitterly cold here).

    Peggy :-)

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Mon Dec 15, 01:58:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Nice photo-- where do you get those?

    Forgive me Victoria, I'm about two sheets to the wind (OK maybe three). I'm linking here a kid vid that I withheld before, fearing that someone named John could actually be our leader. It expresses my own anthropomorphic attitude on taxes.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Dec 16, 02:15:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.