.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Have A Glass Of Bubbly On Me

Happy New Year's Eve, Sundries' readers!

The computer quit on me three times, then I left it running all day -- when I got back, it was still on. Whew. I may be able to compose that Movie Guide tonight, as my family and I will be staying in.

Incidentally, I went to Wal-Mart for the first (and very possibly, the last) time in my life. Yes, I know, I know. Miami's own Paris Hilton blogs before you...at least I knew they didn't sell walls there.

I want to, really really want to say I liked it. I love Country Music. I like diners. I even feel I could like NASCAR, if I started watching. In short, I like loads of blue-collar, just folks things. But Wal-Mart? Yeesh.

It actually made me want to stop shopping, and my darlings, that's not a good thing.

Drive safely, people!

Labels: , , ,


  • My dear Sundries, I, too, have never been to a Wal-Mart either! Just the Ann Arbor snob in me, I guess! I'm all congested, so I'm staying in, but have a Delightful Time in my stead!

    By Blogger Ron, at Wed Dec 31, 06:34:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I would LOVE if Wal-Mart was just a simple country bumpkin, blue collar store. Here in California, every Wal-Mart is like a cross between ghetto gang territory and crystal meth factory.

    Oh, and all of their products are crap. I prefer Target.

    Happy New Year, Victoria and everyone else!

    By Blogger Zachary Paul Sire, at Wed Dec 31, 07:44:00 pm GMT-5  

  • My experience varies.

    I've been to Wal-Marts that weren't bad. When they first started out they weren't so huge, and they were all laid out the same so you could find what you were looking for, even in a strange store. Plus they carried (carry?) Corelle Ware, so that's good.

    When we moved to this house, however, I went to a Wal-Mart Superstore to find a few house items... in particular, a broom.

    I had to ask three different people before I finally found the brooms. It was horrible.

    My MIL has worked at the Wal-Mart in her town for over 20 years. Now I go to Wal-Mart once a year... to spend a Christmas gift card.

    Sam's Club isn't bad though, particularly when you've got four teenagers eating.

    By Blogger Synova, at Wed Dec 31, 08:03:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I, too, prefer Target to Wal-Mart.

    Happy 2009, Victoria! Don't forget tomorrow is a Holy Day of Obligation. Or: Blogligation.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Wed Dec 31, 11:10:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart, because of the way they treat their employees (several of whom I've known over the years.) If a business doesn't respect the people who actually get out there and do the job for them, then they don't have my respect. End of story.

    Vic-- you may want to check in over at Althouse. Everyone is speculating on where you've gone.

    Happy New Year.

    By Blogger Eli Blake, at Thu Jan 01, 12:35:00 am GMT-5  

  • Happy New Year, Vic. May 2009 bring all that 2008 missed.

    Wally World isn't for me, but they do a lot of good in the world.

    By Blogger JSU, at Thu Jan 01, 03:42:00 am GMT-5  

  • Ha! Funny post.

    Where I live if you don't want to drive 50 miles for a mediocre selection of stores or 75 miles for anything you could want you make do at Walmart. Me?
    I usually make do.

    By the way, Happy New Year.

    By Blogger Oxbay, at Thu Jan 01, 12:40:00 pm GMT-5  

  • In short, I like loads of blue-collar, just folks things. But Wal-Mart? Yeesh.

    I go to WM maybe twice a year, always to buy something I couldn't find somewhere else first. Otherwise, I just never much cared for it.

    Whole Foods is the kind of place that makes me cringe. I have to go there once a year or so to find the correct fondue cheeses. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's the type of people shopping there, and my own prejudice.

    Happy New Year Victoria!

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Thu Jan 01, 12:40:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Okay -- I have to weigh in here.

    I like Wal-Mart.

    I may be of a lower income situation than many of you. I always try to get the most for my money. Seriously, not in the "oh, of course I am a good shopper...." mode. Seriously.

    For me shopping at Wal-Mart frees up income for me so I can spend some for non-necessities and in *other* areas and stores. (So much for how it harms other stores...)

    My 91 year old mother also can get more on her limited income. We probably save a thousand bucks or so a year, which is significant.

    Target is nice -- ambiance and all that -- has some nice things, but more limited in many ways. I do shop Target also (relatively new here -- 2 stores in thousands square miles and 10 counties) but I head to Wal-Mart for immediate best deal.

    The Super Wal-Marts are huge, and they need to get their act together re household stuff ... is it in with household stuff in the grocery section or in the other part of the store?? -- (Usually 1/4 mile away.) They need store directories. (Ever try to find matches in a Super Wal-Mart?)

    The size is good for mall walkers though. Wonder if anyone has measured the route around the circumference of the Super Wal-Mart. ;-)

    And I guess I need to point out that this is America and W-M is not ... what was the name of those Soviet "department stores" of the 50s and 60s? Many of the cashiers and workers I recognize have been employees for years. But there are other places to work, you know.

    Have a great 2009, all!

    By Blogger JAL, at Thu Jan 01, 12:41:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Weren't those Soviet department stores named GUM?

    I thought...

    By Blogger Ron, at Thu Jan 01, 01:06:00 pm GMT-5  

  • JAL said: I like Wal-Mart.

    I love Wal-Mart people. I was raised Wal-Mart people. I made an attempt to get away, but those things never work.

    I may be of a lower income situation than many of you. I always try to get the most for my money. Seriously, not in the "oh, of course I am a good shopper...." mode. Seriously.

    I've been on the lower end- was for many years. That's kind of why I ended up Oceanside, instead of rarified La Jolla-- if you understand that social continuum- but that's really OT).

    Until this year, there used to be a a small True Value hardware store near me. I was regular over the years as I faced down many home improvement/up-keep challenges. I also bought things at Home Depot, but appreciated the people that worked at the smaller place, even though things cost slightly more. If you factor in the knowledge dispensed by the smaller store, the true value of what they sold was probably equal.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Thu Jan 01, 01:43:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Some locations are better than others, but I tend to avoid them as well.

    By Blogger knox, at Thu Jan 01, 02:49:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.