.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

PSU Blues And Greens

So it seems my computer's PSU is conking out on me, as suspected this past year. If I suspected, why didn't I replace it earlier, you might be asking yourselves.

Well, I ask that too, because I did request the computer nerds who "fixed" my desktop earlier this year, to check out the fan inside the PSU -- at least I was in the general vicinity...

The part will take a while to arrive, and until then, I will blog sporadically.

Of course, when the actual part arrives, I will have to go to said geeks again and ask them to install it for me. Having gotten up the courage to peek inside my computer, by yanking off the cover, I took a look at that warren of multi-coloured fibre wotsits inside, and I realised the task may be easy, but I am simply not game enough to run the risk of electrocution.

And speaking of being technologically-challenged, have you seen this new clock called Chromochrome?



No. Seriously. It's a clock.

Here are the instructions on how to read the time.



Ummm, what?

Fat lot of good that Oxford degree has done me, my dear Sundries readers.

And why am I suddenly 8 years-old, struggling to keep up with my cousins playing on our Simon?



I'll be back before you know it.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • but I am simply not game enough to run the risk of electrocution.

    For heaven's sake, unplug it first!.

    Hey, remember that coffee machine giving me trouble? We fixed it! My wife had the problem diagnosed over the phone with the help of people at Saeco. All it took was a little duct tape and a small piece of scrap polyethylene.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Dec 30, 11:24:00 am GMT-5  

  • For heaven's sake, unplug it first!.

    He he. One can die from touching a part inside, even if it's unplugged! I am not willing to take a chance. :P

    (When I read I had to constantly keep myself 'grounded' by touching a metal part, and do not touch this part, or you will die, I said nn-uhhh)

    Hey, remember that coffee machine giving me trouble? We fixed it! My wife had the problem diagnosed over the phone with the help of people at Saeco. All it took was a little duct tape and a small piece of scrap polyethylene.

    Wow, that's no Bologna!

    (A little insider humour for you)

    And that's Italian engineering for you...

    I'm really happy, Chickenlittle, since those things are a fortune! :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Dec 30, 11:44:00 am GMT-5  

  • Changing the PSU is straightforward and essentially risk-free.

    Changing the fan inside the PSU is seriously dangerous, and for those who know what they're doing only.

    Many standard PSUs are poorly made, by the way. I hope you bought a good replacement.

    By Blogger JSU, at Tue Dec 30, 03:02:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Changing the PSU is straightforward and essentially risk-free.

    That's what everyone says!

    Okay, okay, I will try it myself. You have convinced me, JSU. :)

    There are only three screws and I have the Phillips screwdriver to unscrew them.

    Changing the fan inside the PSU is seriously dangerous, and for those who know what they're doing only.

    Oh, I see. How about all those multi-coloured wires?

    Many standard PSUs are poorly made, by the way. I hope you bought a good replacement.

    A certain someone is purchasing it for me, as a belated Christmas present. :)

    It's the only out there for my strangely-built slimline Dell. :(

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Dec 30, 04:26:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Changing the PSU is straightforward and essentially risk-free.

    I also encourage the DYI ethic (within reason)--it builds character.

    a little insider humour for you

    Ha ha ;)
    That reminded me of her. You've got to appreciate italian food, and if you cooked, you'd be all over her books.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Dec 30, 05:22:00 pm GMT-5  

  • You mean the power connectors coming out of the PSU front?

    Flip the power switch in the back of the unit, remove the wall cord, unclip/unattach all the power connectors (they should go to your motherboard and any drives you have), then unscrew and remove the PSU itself. Reverse to install.

    I'm a big fan of Hazan. She lives in Florida now too. ;)

    (word verification: "sweat")

    By Blogger JSU, at Tue Dec 30, 05:55:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Happy New Year!

    By Blogger Ms Calabaza, at Wed Dec 31, 07:07:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.