.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Transport Me

As you have read, Monday was a crazy day for me, which culminated with me actually doing something I've never done before in my life -- I cleaned and waxed my own (new) car.

The days of me forking over $189 to my favourite detailer are over, you know. There's a recession on, ain't you heard?

(I use Belgium's Zymöl products, and they are fantastic, incidentally. I love the smell of the banana "Leather Treat", as well as the piña colada "Field Glaze". It's a luau in a bottle!)

Just now, I was researching auto forums for waxing tips and the like, when I came upon the new 2009 Bugatti Veyron, which I found out is currently featured in Jason Statham's "Transporter 3" film.

Oh. My. Goodness. Come to mama! Wow.



(Oh please, spare me the "too flash, too Arab, too shiny" references. To quote Zero Mostel in The Producers, "if you've got it, flaunt it baby!")

I can't relate, but I'm sure a lot of the male Sundries readers echo what one Youtube commenter wrote:

G*D DAMN*T id almost cut my **** off for that car.

Which being Youtube and all, prompted another one to add:

I wouldn't go that far... though maybe I'd cut off a b*llock for it.

Having launched my budding detailing career today, I can only imagine the muscle needed to keep up this chrome papi.

Which brings me to the best ever pictorial on detailing a car -- in this case, a pearly iridiscent beauty, the Lamborghini Gallardo. (Via Renato)

You will NOT believe the attention and precision by this detailer in Scotland. Click on the link to see the Lambo go from this:



To this.



Obviously, I love womanly things like shopping, clothes, and days at the spa; indeed, I am convinced pedicures are God's gift to women to compensate for epidurals -- but sometimes, just sometimes, I can appreciate the finer points of being a chap.

I still don't know what a caliper is, though. And that's okay.

IN THE COMMENTS: Chickenlittle remembers what to me, is an astonishing bit of mechanical skill (and an even more astonishing bit of wifely tolerance).

Ha! These days, cars are far too utilitarian for me to get that excited--I drive a Golf diesel that gets ca 45 mpg. I did once rebuild the motor of a '63 Thunderbird-now that was a motor--390 ci. Not having a garage at the time, I did this on an engine stand in our living room (my wife was very tolerant). We discovered that the engine block made for an excellent FM radio antenna.

Wow, 45 mpg. That is outstanding, as mine is only 21/28 (still pretty decent for a foreign jobbie).

What I find fascinating is the FM radio antenna reception. What is that all about?

Ron dances other goodly visions before us in his comment. Check out the Top Gear lads' episode where the Veyron takes on the Euro Fighter. Sadly, no embedding allowed.

By the way, if you can ever watch or download the episode where Top Gear go to the North Pole, do. It's outstanding.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • mmmm...Veyron! 16 cylinders, 4 turbos...if you were to fill the tank, and get it up to 200 mph...you drain the tank dry in 8 minutes. Ah....bliss.

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Dec 02, 08:44:00 am GMT-5  

  • Here you go...Those lads from Top Gear!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ9X9A2efA

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Dec 02, 08:48:00 am GMT-5  

  • I can't relate, but I'm sure a lot of the male Sundries readers echo what one Youtube commenter wrote:..

    Ha! These days, cars are far too utilitarian for me to get that excited--I drive a Golf diesel that gets ca 45 mpg. I did once rebuild the motor of a '63 Thunderbird-now that was a motor--390 ci. Not having a garage at the time, I did this on an engine stand in our living room (my wife was very tolerant). We discovered that the engine block made for an excellent FM radio antenna.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Dec 02, 11:26:00 am GMT-5  

  • to compensate for epidurals

    Are you serious? Epidurals are compensation for labor, epesiotomies, C-sections, etc., etc., etc.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Tue Dec 02, 01:40:00 pm GMT-5  

  • What I find fascinating is the FM radio antenna reception. What is that all about?

    You had to ask. FM radio antennae are usually skinny wires a couple meters long (the optimal length is about 1.5 meters). The greater the surface area of the antenna, the better the reception.
    Our "antenna" was basically a huge u-shaped chunk of metal. I found a photo on google which looks similar (except this guy has the transmission (grey thing) attached which seems to have added extra weight hence the wood). Mine just hung in space (I had a professional rebuild my transmission).

    I attached the wires* to the receiver near where the engine bolts onto the stand.

    *I did the control experiment to determine that the attachment wires themselves were not the antenna.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Dec 02, 01:45:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Are you serious? Epidurals are compensation for labor, epesiotomies, C-sections, etc., etc., etc.

    My wife had two kids without pain meds (I don't think I could do that). Her reasoning was that it greatly shorted the post partum recovery time. I guess she was right, because she got up and left the hospital a couple hours after giving birth to our second.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Dec 02, 01:56:00 pm GMT-5  

  • German cars, eh, Vic? ;)

    By Anonymous madcynic, at Thu Dec 04, 12:20:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.