.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm Ready For My Closeup, Mr. Obama

Just in case you had any doubts that the press will lavish attention on every part of an Obama Administration (same as they did for press favourite, John F. Kennedy), here is a case in point.

Even the Presidential Rollerball gets the superstar treatment.



You can think back as much as you want, straining your memory to remember a similar photograph on the occasion of George W. Bush's first Executive Order ceremony, and you won't find one as choc-a-bloc with excitement as these series of photos.



I'll go further. I think there is something a little discomfitting about this two-year press love affair with Barack Obama. I'm not just talking about Chris Matthews or David Brooks' various tingles up the legs. But it's a kind of male obsessiveness that personally I find strange.

In one of the best films of 2008, Waltz with Bashir (an Israeli animated documentary that I highly recommend you see), one of the protagonists mentions the treatment given by males to Bachir Gemayel, the slain Christian Lebanese President. He was like a Prince to them, he says. But he also found their obsession rather erotic.

It's to do with the ubiquitousness of his image on everything, like you would with a lover.



They photographed Bachir carrying his cute little daughter, Maya. Entering his car. Leaving his car. Talking on the phone. Looking at his watch. Tousling back his hair. Even doing sit-ups at the gym.



Mark my words.

It won't be but a few days before we get the first shots of a sweaty President Obama inside the White House gym, sending seasoned writers into a frenzy trying to figure out what kind of sneakers he's wearing.

Dan Drezner, of all people, said Barack Obama gets the Sex and The City status of the "Bad Boyfriend Benefit".

The question is not that he's being given the leeway of being the new boyfriend, but whose boyfriend is he?

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • I think there is something a little discomfiting about this two-year press love affair with Barack Obama.

    I don't know about the press, but I noticed and liked him about 6 years ago. Before the previous elections. I was half hoping that he would challenge GWB at that time, and half hoping he wouldn't, because it was not certain that he would win then, and it would be bad if he wasted his promising career with a half-baked effort.

    By Blogger El Kot, at Thu Jan 22, 02:10:00 am GMT-5  

  • Heh, yeah. Same here with Palin. I hope she waits until 2016.

    I like her buckets worth, but I don't want to see her on every tea cozy either.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 22, 02:15:00 am GMT-5  

  • Waltz with Bashir is excellent! I endorse your endorsement.

    Where did you see it? Has it come out in the states?

    By Blogger Ophir, at Thu Jan 22, 03:16:00 am GMT-5  

  • Where did you see it? Has it come out in the states?

    Oh, Ophir, I hadn't realised you were not Stateside. :)

    I saw it in a sneak preview (I am a member of a club which gives advanced screenings. Thankfully this was better than the previous one I attended, In Bruges, which was a critical success, but I hated it).

    "Waltz" reminded me a little of one of the best films of 2007, Persepolis.

    Or maybe I just like animated biopics. :P

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 22, 03:21:00 am GMT-5  

  • Incidentally, Waltz is indeed already showing in the US, but on limited engagement status.

    According to my cinematic Holy Bible, Box Office Mojo, it's only playing in 9 theatres around the US (probably in NYC & LA).

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 22, 03:24:00 am GMT-5  

  • I hope it gets some wider distribution. Perhaps if it wins the Oscar, or is even just nominated.

    By Blogger Ophir, at Thu Jan 22, 03:45:00 am GMT-5  

  • Why do you think I am still up! The Oscar nominations will be announced in less than 2 hours. Very excited. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 22, 03:53:00 am GMT-5  

  • Ah, look at that picture of Obama signing...

    ...He's a lefty.

    By Anonymous Alcibiades, at Thu Jan 22, 09:52:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.