Tragic, Utterly Tragic
Mariana Bridi, the Brazilian Miss World representative, has had her hands and feet amputated due to a severe urinary infection!
She is stable at an Espirito Santo ICU, after originally having been misdiagnosed back in late December. Her father told the press that the most important thing is to save her life, but my God, this sent a chill up my spine. She had such a promising pageanting career, not to mention her modeling one.

I have to say that whenever I travel, I am very nervous of getting ill in South America or even in developed countries. No matter how many reputable hospitals they have, something strange always seems to happen there, in my own family's experience. I speak as a daughter of a medical doctor who actually taught around the world, including hospitals of great renown.
In 1985, the transitional Brazilian President Tancredo Nêves died of "hospital infection", after surgery in São Paulo. He refused to be transported to the US for further treatment, and that bit of nationalistic pride possibly cost him his life.
Let's not forget that it took a SAMU ambulance over two hours to take the still-living Princess Diana exactly three ridiculous miles to the very famous Hospital de la Pitié-Salpêtrière. The French will tell you that they have a medical doctor riding around in each of them, and that they have directives to go as slowly as possible -- the exact opposite of Anglo-Saxon medical establishment rules. Madness.
Regardless of what was the fault, I am so very sorry for Mariana Bridi, and she will be in my prayers tonight.
In case of interest, I found two sites devoted to the "Misses" of Brazil. They are choc-a-bloc with the most beautiful women on earth, at least, in my opinion.
Universo da Misses
Misses Do Brasil
UPDATE, WITH REGRET: Ron posts the sad news.
Repousa em paz, Mariana. Horrivel, mesmo.
She is stable at an Espirito Santo ICU, after originally having been misdiagnosed back in late December. Her father told the press that the most important thing is to save her life, but my God, this sent a chill up my spine. She had such a promising pageanting career, not to mention her modeling one.

I have to say that whenever I travel, I am very nervous of getting ill in South America or even in developed countries. No matter how many reputable hospitals they have, something strange always seems to happen there, in my own family's experience. I speak as a daughter of a medical doctor who actually taught around the world, including hospitals of great renown.
In 1985, the transitional Brazilian President Tancredo Nêves died of "hospital infection", after surgery in São Paulo. He refused to be transported to the US for further treatment, and that bit of nationalistic pride possibly cost him his life.
Let's not forget that it took a SAMU ambulance over two hours to take the still-living Princess Diana exactly three ridiculous miles to the very famous Hospital de la Pitié-Salpêtrière. The French will tell you that they have a medical doctor riding around in each of them, and that they have directives to go as slowly as possible -- the exact opposite of Anglo-Saxon medical establishment rules. Madness.
Regardless of what was the fault, I am so very sorry for Mariana Bridi, and she will be in my prayers tonight.
In case of interest, I found two sites devoted to the "Misses" of Brazil. They are choc-a-bloc with the most beautiful women on earth, at least, in my opinion.
Universo da Misses
Misses Do Brasil
UPDATE, WITH REGRET: Ron posts the sad news.
And sadly, she passed away this morning.
Repousa em paz, Mariana. Horrivel, mesmo.
Labels: Batsheet Craziness, Glamourpuss, Medicine, World Affairs








6 Comments:
That's utterly horrible. I'm at loss for what to say. And unlike you, I don't have the safety net of religion to fall back on. Poor girl.
In (un)related morbid news, ruud of rss has left us, if you didn't already know.
By
El Kot, at Thu Jan 22, 01:56:00 am GMT-5
Poor girl.
Only 20. The mind boggles. :(
ruud of rss has left us
You mean...?
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Thu Jan 22, 02:05:00 am GMT-5
ruud of rss has left us
You mean...?
I don't know if you remember him, he was a longtime r.s.soccer denizen. He lost a protracted battle with cancer (if that's what you were wondering about, rather than who he is).
By
El Kot, at Thu Jan 22, 02:24:00 am GMT-5
Ah, thanks Elko. That's very sad too.
Cheers,
Victoria
By
vbspurs, at Thu Jan 22, 02:42:00 am GMT-5
Love how you implicitly call France a third world country.
By
Anonymous, at Thu Jan 22, 05:52:00 am GMT-5
And sadly, she passed away this morning.
By
Ron, at Sat Jan 24, 09:54:00 am GMT-5
Post a Comment
<< Home