.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Congratulations, President Obama

And thank you very sincerely to President George W. Bush, and Mrs. Laura Bush, as well as some members of his administration.

If someone had told me on September 12, 2001, that in the next 7 and 1/2 years, these United States of America would not suffer a single domestic terrorist attack, I would've thought them utterly bonkers. I also would've thought you deranged had you mentioned that in 2008, Iraq would be a complete non-topic. Thanks to the Surge, given the resolute determination to stabilise Iraq and continue our efforts in Afghanistan, President Bush leaves our country a peaceful, sovereign territory.

As for President Barack H. Obama, he enters our nation's history books alongside his wife, Michelle, and fledgling administration under strained economic circumstances. I wish him well, for our country's sake.

In the past two weeks, I have tried to put my very best foot forward to strike a non-discordant note on Sundries, about this upcoming Presidency.

But I confess, the effort on January 20th itself would be too taxing, and possibly too hypocritical. I enter today with deep misgivings about the gentleman about to put his scrawny hand unto Abraham Lincoln's Bible. Since I am not the kind to rain on anyone's parade on the actual day of their triumph or demise, I will sign off for Tuesday. Hopefully my Sundries readers will understand the gesture, or perhaps in your own ways, you are emulating it.

Will I watch the Inauguration? Yes, probably. The actual swearing-in. But that's about it.

Like persons elected to the highest Office in our land, I too have my limits.

ADDENDUM: The Oath of Office, including flubbed moments by both President Obama and Chief Justice Roberts.

Labels:

14 Comments:

  • In all probability though, I will update this post with photographs of the swearing-in ceremony. So please check back for that, later Tuesday. :)

    Catch you around, guys!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 20, 12:53:00 am GMT-5  

  • I too wish our new President all the best tomorrow and in the coming years.
    I do seem to have much less tolerance for lingering BDS lately though--I guess that what negative energy I possess has to go somewhere. You're a better person than I am Victoria.
    Enjoy your day off!

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Jan 20, 02:16:00 am GMT-5  

  • I've never watched an inauguration in my life, and this won't be the first.

    The Obamagasm phenomenon (quite rampant in this neck of the woods) puzzles me a bit. Pay tribute to the man afterwards, if he's succeeded... For now, it's just another peaceful transition, minus the defaced White House property.

    By Blogger JSU, at Tue Jan 20, 03:55:00 am GMT-5  

  • "My fellow citizens, I stand before you humbled".

    I bet he feels humbled by his stumble, as that was the clumsiest oath I've ever heard in my life. All due to his own efforts.

    HEHE.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 20, 12:09:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Did I just hear data and statistics in an Inaugural Address?

    It's a very bad opening salvo for an Inaugural Address.

    It is hardly the Churchillian ringing tones I expected. It sounds like a stump speech...

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 20, 12:10:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Agreed, Vicky. I told myself not to comment on this anywhere, but I'll indulge myself since I'm anon here anyway... So:

    What a bad beginning... He messed up the oath, not once, but TWICE. And the speech, which did indeed feel like an out-of-place campaign thing, fell flat, no doubt because it wasn't inspiring. And this man supposedly models himself on Lincoln?

    Yes, I'm biased. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

    Bad start.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Jan 20, 12:52:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I read that it was Roberts who messed up the position of the words, so that's why Obama stopped.

    By Blogger dotJorge, at Tue Jan 20, 04:06:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Jorge, is that you? :)

    Actually, no. President Obama interrupted the Chief, by jumping the gun with "I Barack Hussein Obama", and that threw Roberts off his memorised stride.

    It went downhill from there.

    They're both human, it's okay.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 20, 04:09:00 pm GMT-5  

  • It was clearly Roberts who messed up the words.

    By Blogger Cathy Young, at Tue Jan 20, 04:10:00 pm GMT-5  

  • out-of-place campaign thing

    I would take a million such speeches, rather than one Lowery "benediction" which mentioned 'yellow' people being mellow...

    Oh God, that was bloody awful. What were they thinking? Was Jackson not available??

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 20, 04:10:00 pm GMT-5  

  • It was clearly Roberts who messed up the words.

    Hey Cathy. :)

    Sure, it was, but the moment it went downhill was Obama's hasty interruption.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 20, 04:11:00 pm GMT-5  

  • got it...and yes it's me......hi :P

    By Blogger dotJorge, at Tue Jan 20, 04:21:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Hola, Jorgito! Quanto tiempo. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 20, 05:19:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I've been here, reading all your posts, quietly, staying out of the Palin lovefest...err, I mean , campaign posts. BTW, I was in your neck of the woods over the Christmas holiday. Now I want to move there, permanently. :)

    By Blogger dotJorge, at Tue Jan 20, 05:51:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.