.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Come Here, Fool"



This is a bit of an inside joke about my sallies into Presidential erotica on Althouse, Tuesday, after being requested to. I am too pudique to post what I wrote on Sundries, but you can read my efforts here. Blush.

I think this photograph is outstanding, though. They both look great.

P.S.: Unlike a lot of people, I thought Michelle Obama's Inauguration dress worked for her. It's true that the colour was not easy to pull off. Amanda Carpenter sniffed:

If that particular hue becomes a crayola crayon, I think it should be named "sour sunshine."

Heh. Quite. It also looked like an after-five tea gown, than a noon-time one.



But I'll give our new First Lady this: she looked far more appropriate in her attire than Dr. Jill Biden's hotcha-momma Sophie Tucker knee-high boots, and red coat.

Carpenter also referenced BaBa WaWa's nearly unbelievable remark about First Lady frocks.

Of course, this doesn't matter at all in the big picture. The only one I've heard say it should even be discussed is Barbara Walters, who said on The View, the other day, "I think you can tell what the Administration is going to be like by what the First Lady wears."

I wouldn't go that far, but it is fun for political women to talk political fashion.

Not only wouldn't I go that far, but if this remark is true, it tears what little shred of good opinion I had about Barbara Walter's last remaining braincells.

Look, I can talk about fashion until the Firedoglake bloggers come home disappointed they didn't get into the viewing stands, but there is such a thing as being too vapid. Walters just crossed the line between insightful commentary and kaffeeklatsch nonsense.

ADDENDUM: Stop the presses. I just got a load of Michelle Obama's shoes, which I had originally thought were black court shoes. It seems that they are an unbecoming shade of seafoam green.

God, that interrupts the previous good visual I had of her.



But in better news, I think this photo is remarkable, and so sweet to see the girls standing proudly alongside their parents.

Even the unnatural length of Obama's Brooks Bros trousers doesn't distract from the natural beauty of the moment.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • Maybe, but I'll be honest here-- the female on stage whose fashion statement really got me excited, was Aretha Franklin. That hat made me imagine I was in 1942, in a big smoky room that was ordinarily a nightclub, but at 2 PM it was just a nice place to hang out, where guys waiting to ship out could buy their lady one last meal before reporting to the ship.

    If I meet a lady wearing a hat like that and with a voice like hers, I'm sure I'll be melted butter, ready to spread on her omelette in the amount and manner that she pleases, in an instant.

    By Blogger Eli Blake, at Wed Jan 21, 06:51:00 pm GMT-5  

  • LOL
    Man, that was one great, big-ass, glorious, hat.
    http://www.groupnewsblog.net/2009/01/arethas-hat.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Jan 21, 08:53:00 pm GMT-5  

  • By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Wed Jan 21, 11:18:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Man, that was one great, big-ass, glorious, hat.

    Hehe.

    Coming as I do from the UK, with our Ladies Day at Ascot and at weddings, this tradition of overlarge hats does not faze me at all. In fact, I didn't even think it that big, or weird. :)

    I notice that in the link you provided, Anon, the commenter says that his/her white friends totally missed the point -- that it was in the tradition of AA Sunday services.

    I don't mind that interpretation, which could indeed be correct. But does it always have to be about race?

    How about religion for a change?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Jan 21, 11:27:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Vics: Looks like someone picked up your cue.

    Nice! I suspect that MO is not a shark in the bedroom. I mean, she can't be that sharp-faced all the time, can she? History shows that the people tend to have the opposite demeanour in the bedroom, than they do in real life.

    Queen Victoria transformed herself into a predator in the bedroom. Maybe Obama becomes manly at last, there. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Jan 21, 11:29:00 pm GMT-5  

  • 'I don't mind that interpretation, which could indeed be correct. But does it always have to be about race?'

    More to the point, why are you interpreting the post as about race? The poster is clearly speaking in traditional and cultural terms. Nothing to do with religion either, other than the venue.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jan 22, 05:40:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.