.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Give It To Them

One more film blogpost, but with a much more important message.

JSU sent me a link about the desperate reactions to the United 93 film, by some moviegoers in select markets.

As Ace reports, some people shouted "too soon! too soon!" at the screen, and the film actually had to be pulled in some theatres, due to the emotional upheaval caused.

In my previous post, not coincidentally named Too Soon, I sat my derriere firmly on the fence about the timing of the film -- whilst I personally have reasons why watching events from 9/11 might be too soon for me, I don't deny that we need to watch this film, all of us.

On top of that, instead of being typical Oliver Stone abortion of a film, full of contorted conspiracy theories and "blaming the victim" mentality, which is more than debilitating, it's dishonourable, this version will pull no punches about the very real sacrifice those people on United 93 made.

And bully for the efforts to make all those people on that plane, posthumous recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honour!

Are you kidding me that Charles Lindbergh's solo flight from America to Europe, which was indeed very intrepid, would deserve a Congressional Medal Of Honour, but not the people who knowingly risked their lives to save...the Capitol, or the very White House?

Give it to their families, immediately.

Charles Lindbergh survived his flight. These Americans did not.

And to boot, they did it, staring evil in the face.

NOTE: It is the Congressional Gold Medal that is being proposed, to be given to these brave Americans. A technicality -- we all know what it means.

4 Comments:

  • People in the armed forces and veteran's hold those who have been awarded a Medal of Honor in reverence and awe because we still believe them only awarded in the most exceptional of circumstances and bravery.

    The Gold Medal is, or should be, it's civilian equivalent and all of Flight 93's people deserve it; it is overdue.

    Having seen lesser medals freely given or withheld based on the unit commander or his superiors. I do not hold all winners of those medals in immediate respect.

    I still hold Medal of Honor winners beyond question.

    I fear that the Gold Medal may be tainted by being awarded too freely at Congressional whim.

    Still, for these people, there are no heights which could rise above them. I'm glad there is a film; as long as their history is never revised and the simple truth about what they did is forever truly noted in our books, I'll be happy.

    By Blogger Paul, at Wed Apr 19, 11:47:00 am GMT-4  

  • People in the armed forces and veteran's hold those who have been awarded a Medal of Honor in reverence and awe because we still believe them only awarded in the most exceptional of circumstances and bravery.

    It's very much the same feeling we have, in Britain, towards Victoria Cross recipients.

    What makes them so special, unlike the ridiculously profuse Legion d'Honneur in France, or the defunct Iron Cross in Germany, is not that they are not important awards (if you give me a Legion d'Honneur, I'd faint), but that they are rare.

    Rareness, like courage, is what makes it so covetted.

    The Gold Medal is, or should be, it's civilian equivalent and all of Flight 93's people deserve it; it is overdue.

    Of course.

    It's like no World War II memorial anywhere, until Tom Hanks and Co. decided to build one in Washington DC.

    (The Iwo Jima Marine one is too armed forces specific to qualify, IMHO)

    You take it for granted, because it's with you, in one way or another, almost every day.

    Having seen lesser medals freely given or withheld based on the unit commander or his superiors. I do not hold all winners of those medals in immediate respect.

    Perhaps.

    Some people questioned whether Senator Kerry deserved all his medals, but I'll tell you.

    Even if he split a nail in combat, to me, that's laudable.

    I'm never charry with my admiration, just because I dislike the guy's politics.

    I still hold Medal of Honor winners beyond question.

    Remember that stupidly dull film with Meg Ryan and Denzel Washington, not to mention Matt Damon, about the bogus "First Woman to get a CMOH"...during the first Gulf War?

    WTF. Women had gotten it way before that.

    I fear that the Gold Medal may be tainted by being awarded too freely at Congressional whim.

    Perhaps, but it's still not common, so it's a moot point so far.

    Still, for these people, there are no heights which could rise above them. I'm glad there is a film; as long as their history is never revised and the simple truth about what they did is forever truly noted in our books, I'll be happy.

    Wait 'til you see the Ollie Stone film...

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Apr 20, 09:23:00 am GMT-4  

  • Even if he split a nail in combat, to me, that's laudable.

    I'm never charry with my admiration, just because I dislike the guy's politics.


    No, sorry, I was there, first with Vietnamese troops, 7th Infantry, Mytho, then later with my old outfit from the states carrying an M-79 grenade launcher with the 2/18 Infantry.

    Medals were awarded freely in some places, seemingly a dime a dozen, while other places were very strict and by the book.

    The mere fact that Kerry or any man has a medal is not enough. I want to know what he did, preferably by talking with people who served with him.
    But Victoria, I never even thought of him when I wrote that. Many combat veterans feel the same. In other wars too, going far back in history, such is the inequities, such is life and death.

    By Blogger Paul, at Thu Apr 20, 03:38:00 pm GMT-4  

  • The Medal has been awarded much too freely in recent years. But Lucky Lindy was very deserving of his. Let's not pooh-pooh other recipients because of the bravery of the Flight 93 folks.

    They are deserving in their own right.

    By Blogger benning, at Thu Apr 20, 09:15:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.