.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Interno 8




I have to say, I'm a sucker for all things male sartorial, but even I simply fell in love with these Interno 8 shirts.

The brainchild of Rome banker, Angelo Galasso, who one day decided that no tailor in Rome made shirts to his exact liking, so he decided to make them himself, the Interno 8 shirt is now sold to great fanfare in the Saville Row shops, which my dad used to frequent as a younger man.

And it says something that the epitome of these Euro-trashy shirts would be flying off the peg at a mere £79 (£160 for a bespoke version), in London.

It's true that male Britons have become more fashion-conscious rather than just style-conscious, as they used to be, and trust me, there is a difference -- but never would I dream that these high, 3 button collars-and-cuffed shirts would take off with the speed of a Lamborghini in the tight M1 motorway.

Italian fashion couture is the antithesis of British fashion couture, particularly as regards the male of the species.

Where one treasures the stylish and showy, the other treasures the stylish and subdued, and I won't speak down to you by telling you which is which: you know. We all do.

As for dear old dad, I'm not at all sure he would like the new wave of club-inspired fashion now worn in every London club, such as Prince William-approved, Boujis.

Or what he would say about these shirts, some of which have the convenient pocket to wear your watch, Gianni Agnelli-style.





BUILT-INTO the cuff, if you please.

You know every Kuwaiti sheikh and minor Italian nobleman from here to Chelsea will be flinging themselves unto Mr. Galasso for one.

And I admit, if I were a man, I would be too.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • Oh, yeah? Check these out!

    http://www.daddyos.com/

    Scope out the "Steady Elvis Recording Session" or the "Steady Bashful Beauty!"

    Admittedly not on Saville Row! :)

    By Blogger Ron, at Wed Mar 28, 12:44:00 am GMT-4  

  • Oh, yeah? Check these out!

    Bowling shirts! Awesome. I've always wondered where one had them made, ever since I saw the abysmal Jennifer Aniston-Vince Vaughn vehicle, The Break-Up.

    BTW, this allows me to mention this interesting mid-90s book:

    Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American communities

    Americans don't bowl in leagues as much any more, like they don't drink Maxwell House as much.

    And that's because they discovered Starbucks and the Gap. There's nothing wrong with gentrification, y'hear peeps? ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Mar 28, 02:55:00 am GMT-4  

  • I must admit to something, here. In the past, I was not well versed with the word "gentry", so I didn't quite recognize the word "gentrification" when I first saw it. My feeble mind transformed it into "geriatric-ification".

    Basically, I thought old people were turning sections of cities into Florida retirement communities.

    By Blogger Alcibiades, at Wed Mar 28, 03:28:00 am GMT-4  

  • "Where one treasures the stylish and showy, the other treasures the stylish and subdued, and I won't speak down to you by telling you which is which: you know. We all do."

    Yes, except...

    There's a segment of Italian men's wear that offers its own refined take on the subdued British style, and a segment of British that goes for the showy.

    I quite like the former -- and its French cousin -- while the less said about the latter, the better.

    By Blogger JSU, at Thu Mar 29, 12:23:00 am GMT-4  

  • Who wears a watch? That's what you have your "man's man" for - he keeps the time, doesn't he?

    So, I guess when I go to Milan in May, you won't be asking me to pick anything up for you. That's good because I can barely afford the hotels so I don't plan on bringing back any Italian fashions as souvenirs.

    By Blogger Internet Ronin, at Thu Mar 29, 06:28:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Basically, I thought old people were turning sections of cities into Florida retirement communities.

    LOL! Something similar happened to me recently -- all these years, a word I should've known, I had been misinterpreting with comedic effects...

    What was it now? Hmm, I forget!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Mar 30, 01:44:00 am GMT-4  

  • There's a segment of Italian men's wear that offers its own refined take on the subdued British style,

    Really? I know the French do, and they do so very well, but I didn't know the Italians did tweed etc., at all.

    The weather is ag'in them.

    and a segment of British that goes for the showy.

    Oh yes...

    I quite like the former -- and its French cousin -- while the less said about the latter, the better.

    I agree. After a lifetime of restraint, the British have gone gaga over power ties. The gaudier, more Windsor knottish, the better.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Mar 30, 01:46:00 am GMT-4  

  • Who wears a watch? That's what you have your "man's man" for - he keeps the time, doesn't he?

    No one can afford Mr. French anymore, darling. Or Belvedere, come to that. :)

    So, I guess when I go to Milan in May, you won't be asking me to pick anything up for you. That's good because I can barely afford the hotels so I don't plan on bringing back any Italian fashions as souvenirs.

    Boo. I would look very fetching in that Interno 8 shirt.

    Oh by the way, did I mention it's pronounced "otto" = 8?

    ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Mar 30, 01:47:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.