.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Next Wave

It was Gloria Vanderbilt whom I blame for really kickstarting the late 1970s era of fashionista fragrances, with her swan-shaped perfume bottle, remember that?

Though the first wave of fashion house perfume had truly started with the sensational Chanel N° 5, followed very closely by Joy by Jean Patou back in the heady flapper days of the 1920s, it was the poor little rich girl that suddenly made designer perfume all the rage, the better to allow you entry into the discotheques.

From there, we went to Halston, to Giorgio, to Anaïs Anaïs, to Obsession by Calvin Klein, to Paris by YSL, and who can forget Yves' later addition, Opium, which my mother STILL insists on wearing every once in a while?

And ugh, Elizabeth Taylor's Passion or was it Poison?

Whichever it was, it smelt horrid, HORRID -- like Pepé Le Pew had up and died in your neck.

(Later came the male fragrances, such as Fahrenheit and Kouros, which still arrest your nasal passages in narrow spaces like lifts and movie theatres. Eek. Although I do like a man who puts on a bit of scent to go out for the night...but watch it fellas. A little dab'll do ya)

Such was my surprise when I saw this bottle of vodka at a South Beach restaurant tonight. Well, well, well.

Roberto Cavalli vodka, huh?





This must be the newest wave of designer novelties to come down the fashion pike. Any time now, we will have Karl Lagerfeld Jägermeister and Dolce & Gabbana Grappa.

You heard it here first! Or maybe you're already drinking them now...

I'm always the last to know.

P.S.: It tasted fine, as far as vodka goes. Had a few top notes of citrus, and perhaps was not as strong as a lovely Stoli, but for $60 per snifter, taste is the last thing on your mind.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • I have rarely used cologne, or even after-shave. I don't care to keeping smelling whatever fragrance all the live-long day (it does get stale after a few hours). I'm not even happy with many deodorants: too strongly scented, most of them. So buying a name-brand of after-shave or cologne would foolish.

    As for vodka ... I only use it in an occasional Bloody Mary. I buy the Albertson's store brand for that. Yeah, I know it's not prime stuff, but after all, it's just fermented potato juice. :D

    By Blogger benning, at Sun Mar 11, 10:05:00 am GMT-4  

  • I have rarely used cologne, or even after-shave. I don't care to keeping smelling whatever fragrance all the live-long day (it does get stale after a few hours). I'm not even happy with many deodorants: too strongly scented, most of them. So buying a name-brand of after-shave or cologne would foolish.

    Not all day, but maybe a little spritz of something to go to a club or on a date, or somethin'?

    The ladies do appreciate the effort, believe me. :)

    (Having said that, EWW EWW Axe body spray)

    As for vodka ... I only use it in an occasional Bloody Mary. I buy the Albertson's store brand for that. Yeah, I know it's not prime stuff, but after all, it's just fermented potato juice. :D

    Albertson's! Do you know we in Miami-Dade County don't have one?

    You have to go to Ft. Lauderdale for one, and that's only recently.

    First one that I saw was in Tallahassee!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Mar 12, 01:57:00 am GMT-4  

  • The first Alberton's I saw was after I moved to southern California - Santa Ana - in 1977. I confess that I still thought you'd find the same stores and such everywhere in the country. But I was surprised to find that there was no A&P, or PathMark, No Pomeroy's or Strawbridge & Clothier. I found Ralph's, Von's, and Albertson's.

    That alone, was an adventure, learning the layouts of stores I'd never heard of, trying out their particular brands of foods and supplies. New drugstores and record stores. New!

    After eight years I left Loony California for the Land of the Near-Dead, here in west central Florida. And the adventures began anew! LOL

    By Blogger benning, at Mon Mar 12, 09:46:00 am GMT-4  

  • Generally I like to use aftersave and after bath body spray.I think people like men who smell different . I like soft rather than strong fragrance deodorants.Roberto Cavalli Vodka is sophisticated and elegant vodka. The design of the bottle is excellent.People love to hold it.It has smooth taste with no burning sensation and you will never get a hangover. I like to enjoy my drink with Cuban cigars which I buy online.

    By Blogger Brian, at Tue Sep 22, 07:49:00 am GMT-4  

  • By Blogger Adi, at Sun Nov 08, 03:17:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.