.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Obama's Snarky Stumping

As I write, Senator Barack Obama is ramping up the recent snarkiness in his stump speech of the last few days.

I have been wondering about his wild, undisciplined demeanour of the last few days. That "Selfish" was strange. "I will change the world" was downright bumptious. The civilian militia idea sprung two days ago was beyond creepy. And now he just said this, when likening McCain to President Bush.

"John McCain is not a maverick. He's a sidekick. He's Kato to the Green Hornet."

UPDATE: Obama has an even worse grasp of pop culture than I do. First the Weezie mistake, now he had actually said "Green Lantern" not the correct "Green Hornet".

I admit, I gasped. This is so...unusual. He's usually a cool cat -- and this is Schwarzenegger-snark, not Obama speechifying. You let others punch the opponent, not you. It's not presidential.

So this is what I think. He's losing, and it's not close.

The on-message conciliatory strategy is out the door. He wants to give the illusion the voting on Tuesday is a mere formality. This is consistent with blogchatter of recent days (I won't link to it, you know where to find it), and the private reasoning I've had for a while.

Last night, Senator McCain was unbelievably cool on SNL, perhaps the coolest and most relaxed I've seen him this year. In fact, that was mentioned on Sundries by a commenter. If you check the comments of Daily Kos and Huffington Post, you will see they are lulled into thinking John McCain is acting this way, because he knows all is lost. (They even feel sorry, and a few admit they rather like him, mwarf!).

So tell me:

How epic is this fail going to be for them, should Barack Obama lose the election? Wow.

This is a Democratic year. I don't want Obama to win, but I have been priming myself for a loss. My attitude is now 2 months in the making; a real introspective dialogue deep within myself to come to terms with any eventuality. I'm prepared.

But Obama supporters? Are they ready for any eventuality?

I fear for them. They think it's in the bag. And personally, I think these last few appearances by Senator Obama have let the cat out of the bag.

We'll see on Tuesday, won't we.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • I don't know any Obama supporters who think this is in the bag. Believe me when I tell you that this is a very, very, nerve wracking time for Democrats. I see certain state polls tightening, and even though Obama maintains his leads, I am still freaking out.

    Should Obama lose, it will be depressing and crazy, considering he has led in all the polls, but we'll move on. Trust me, Democrats are used to failure and used to suffering under miserable presidents. Look at the past 8 years.

    By Blogger Zachary Paul Sire, at Sun Nov 02, 02:08:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Yes we sure will see, Vic. And it will be AWESOME!

    Hey, have you seen the youtube vid of Obama saying he plans to bankrupt new coal plants? Later in the same interview, he says his plans will necessarily cause energy bills to skyrocket. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ

    By Blogger Bekah, at Sun Nov 02, 02:12:00 pm GMT-5  

  • McCain's demeanor and tone reminded me of that congratulatory message he sent to Obama on what turned out to be Palin-eve.
    Link
    So I think your instincts are right: he shows when he knows.

    Plus you were right about Palin that same night too, weren't you. :)

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Sun Nov 02, 03:53:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I'm sorry, something happens Tuesday? Was this in the papers? :)

    By Blogger Ron, at Sun Nov 02, 04:22:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Yeah, Republicans vote on Tuesday. Democrats bring it home on Wednesday. We're running a bit behind schedule on that Grant Park Temple for Obama. We'll put a few brother-in-laws on it and it should be good-to-go by Wednesday.

    By Blogger Darrell, at Sun Nov 02, 05:01:00 pm GMT-5  

  • You putting any money down?

    I'm trying to get my act together enough to take advantage of the 8-to-1 odds against McCain.

    You know, so that I have some sort of personal investment in the outcome.

    By Blogger blake, at Mon Nov 03, 01:08:00 am GMT-5  

  • Blake... If I'm not mistaken, it takes a long time to transfer any money into an Intrade account.

    wish I'd thought to do it more than a week ago.

    By Blogger JSU, at Mon Nov 03, 09:22:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.